Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating

Default Relactating

Hello! I'm new here and I am looking for some help.
    My daughter was born 9/25/12 and our plan was to breastfeed but I wasnt producing enough milk to sustain her, only about 2 oz per day pumping, so we decided she needed formula.
    I recently heard that it is possible to relactate and this is something I want to know more about. Any advice? Tips? Is it too late to try? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Relactating

Here's a good resource to get you started.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

Thanks! I'm just worried its too late and she wont latch on but I'll definitely try!

It probably won't be an easy road at this age, but it is not impossible. Some others will probably chime in with some more specific advice soon, so keep checking back.

Lots of skin to skin time. Just hang out shirtless with baby in a diaper as much as possible to see if she will get interested again. even if you don't get anything from pumping, the stimulation should help your production. Good luck, mama!
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Silly phone auto correct

thanks! i'm going to try that tonight and see what happens. Fingers crossed I can get her breastfeeding eventually

There's also a very helpful section in the latest The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding.