Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Comfort nursing questions

Default Comfort nursing questions

My soon-to-be 4 week old (tomorrow) has been comfort nursing in the evenings lately. For the last 2 days, anytime after 6pm he'll act fussy/hungry but when he's latched he'll actively suck for just a few minutes. After that he's asleep and doing those flutter sucks. Usually I don't mind, but I'm worried he's not eating enough in those feedings. Does anyone have a similar situation? Do you let him suck as long as he wants? Sometimes he'll pull my nipple hard, and it gets painful!

Default Re: Comfort nursing questions

Sounds like cluster feeding to me. Very normal. My guess is he's getting milk just not at the rate he would in the mornin after a longer period of time. I would let my son suck in hopes of upping my supply during that time of day.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

yep, i agreee. keep a 4 weeker on the breast as often and as long as he wants!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My LO still does this in the evenings and she is almost 8 weeks. It can feel distressing for you, often making your evening challenging, but it is normal for your LO. My pediatrician says this behavior peaks at 6 weeks and then declines over the next 6 weeks. I am seeing a decline for sure. Buckle up each evening and enjoy the time with your babe. Have your partner bring you some water and snacks and enjoy!