Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Fussy baby while nursing! Don't know what to do!

Unhappy Help! Fussy baby while nursing! Don't know what to do!

My daughter is 2 months old and has been nursing fine her whole life (other than I need to use a shield because I have inverted nipples and she has latching problems). We just went to her 2 month check up and the dr said he has acid reflux. He started her on medicine for that on Friday 5/11. For the past couple days she has been getting really fussy when we go to nurse, most of the time this happens later in the day, she gets so upset that she is screaming and screeching, do bad that she has trouble breathing. When she does this I stop nursing and give her a bottle and she eats that fine.She does half breast milk and half formula. Whe have had to switch the formula 3 times and are using enfamil fussieness and gas, suggested by her dr. I don't know what to do, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. It hurts me so much that I can't actually nurse. Anyone have this happen to them? Please help!

Default Re: Help! Fussy baby while nursing! Don't know what to do!

My son has reflux. Usually when he screams or pulls himself off the breast, he has gas. You could also try the football hold. He basically looks like he is sitting next to me. That helps to keep him upright. Keeping them upright as much as possible will help new also have him on BioGaia, a probiotic. I also started doing laid back nursing/ biological nursing. He loves that.

I use the nursing pillow, My Breast Friend and it is amazing, and I also burp her when she is screaming and she still wont nurse. What is BioGaia, Laid back nursing and biological nursing?

Laid back (=biological) nursing is where you lean (or lay) back, put your baby on top of you, and let her latch herself. It works very well during those early months!

What you describe coud easily be normal late afternoon/evening fussiness. That is really common at that age. My son would scream and scream at the breast starting around 5 p.m. when he was a similar age. The only thing I could do to calm him down enough to latch was to walk around the house either holding him in my arms or in a sling. I could get him to latch while I was walking once he calmed down a bit and I continued to walk with him while he nursed. I could only to get him to nurse if I was walking for a solid week at least. Bicycling her legs, tummy massage, and warm baths help a lot with the gas.

Why are you using formula? Formula can be very constipating and could very well be exacerbating the fussiness. It is also very difficult to digest, and I would personally be reluctant to give it to a baby with tummy trouble (but that's just me, so take that for what it's worth). If you do really need to use it for some reason, then make sure that you are pumping at least the equivalent of the formula given to protect your milk supply.

Honestly, though, you should probably avoid bottles if it is at all possible. If your baby develops a flow preference for the bottle, then she will likely only become more and more fussy at the breast.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

She could be developing a bottle preferce. I'd skip bottles and just nurse. Yes, it will be hard to drop bottles, and she is gonna fuss at you, but in the kong run, it's better for her.

If you have to use formula (not sure why you are giving formula) maybe try giving 1 oz in the bottle and always finishing at the breast so she associates breastfeeding with that warm milky feeling instead of a bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!