Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I pump in middle of the night?

Default Should I pump in middle of the night?

Hi. My LO is almost 8 weeks and usually sleeps from about 930 or 10pm until about 4 AM when we nurse again. Should I pump during the night? I am usually a little engorged when she wakes to eat. She does a good job of draining me and then I pump after and usually get a good amount of milk. My biggest concern is my milk supply. Am I damaging it by going so many hours without pumping?

Default Re: Should I pump in middle of the night?

is your baby gaining well, with at least 5-6 wet diapers a day? is she getting any formula or is she EBF?

if she's EBF and gaining well with good diaper output, then enjoy the stretch of sleep while you have it, and hope it doesn't change too soon
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

She is ebf, has the diapers and I expect she is gaining well. I am going to check her weight this week.

If you're exclusively breast feeding you don't need to pump at all. In fact, pumping will tell your body to produce more when your baby doesn't want / need it and throw you out of sync with your baby. If she's gaining well, has good diapers and you have no reason to need a milk stash, put the pump away. You and your baby will mirror each other perfectly. Enjoy it!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks ladies! Judy wanted to be sure I wasn't hurting my supply by going so many hours with expressing.