Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My LO only feeds 5mins when she nurses, is this enough?

Smile My LO only feeds 5mins when she nurses, is this enough?

She's 8 weeks old, her birth weight was 6.10oz and 2 weeks ago she weighed 9.10oz so she's gaining well, she has about 9 wet diapers and 2 poop - but she only feeds maybe 5mins ( if i'm lucky ) at one breast.
    She's only started doing this - sometimes she chokes but I'm not sure if thats because I have an over active let-down or she just forgets to swallow!

Also I've started seeing if she wants a bottle after I feed her (EBM) which she kinda doesn't mind but doesn't actively suck it but keeps it in her mouth and swallows - so I'm confused by this - does that means she's hungry?

She also keeps poking out her tongue after I feed her well which means i put her back on the breast but she either cries or pushes away or does feed but once let down starts she pulls off!

confused first time Mum ........ anyone going through something similar or have any ideas?

Thank you so much.

ps : I only pump to increase supply (I have no indication of it being low but I"m paranoid, in fact if I had express it squirts so I think I'm ok)

I love breast feeding and am so determined to get through all the little bumps along the way but help and support is definitely appreciated as it's not as easy as i expected!

sorry for the length of this question.

Default Re: My LO only feeds 5mins when she nurses, is this enough?

I think it's time to put down the pump. That can exacerbate OALD (which is probably causing the choking) and drive a nasty oversupply.

Short nursing sessions and nursing on only one side are common with OALD and OS. Mine would only nurse for a few minutes at a time and was gaining a pound a week. If weight gain and diaper output look good, then she's definitely getting enough.

She swallows when given a bottle because if she doesn't she will choke because she can stop the milk flowing out of the bottle. Just nurse on demand and everything will be fine!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

ha thanks Mumma, you're probably right with the pump, I've become a bit - obsessed by it, seeing how much I can pump between nursing to see if she's getting enough ... a pound a week wow that's amazing! Thanks x

She's getting enough. Shelf the pump for now. Speaking from experience, OS and OALD come with their own set of problems and you definitely don't want that!

My DD (7 weeks) is exactly the same way. Usually just nurses on one side for just a few minutes. It's very different from how my son nursed so it had me worried but she is doing fine! I know it's hard not to be paranoid but it sounds like you're doing just fine. Keep it up!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

sorry- i'm new to this forum so i'm not entirely sure what OALD or OS stand for but i'm assuming something relating to and oversupply of milk. I may have this "problem" too but never knew it was a problem! i thought it was a great thing because then i could start building up a frozen supply for when i go back to work. what's the downside to a large supply? my little one gained 1 lb in two weeks (she's 4 weeks old) and also only nurses for like 5 minutes and often chokes. i was worried she wasn't getting enough so i was also giving her bottles of breast milk but have decided not to do that as much now. should i stop pumping?

Hey Babiesti!
    Welcome, I"m new to, OALD means Over Active Let Down and OS = Over supply .... I think OS means that?
    You sound the same as me - wonderful - from the advice I've gotten here I"d say stop pumping I guess?
    I might stop pumping but Im so obsessed with seeing how much i have - I'm not working and my partner has told me to take as long as I need - so that's pretty amazing, so I dont have a real need to pump or anything - I was doing it to build up my supply - which as I said I have no idea if it's low or not just paranoid.
    I think the down sound to a large supply is hindmilk/foremilk imbalance, just meaning they are not getting enough fat - their poop is normally green with that and also as you said your LO choking on your milk so therefore not feeding long enough I guess?

Funny isn't it - breast feeding is so amazing - but not as easy as I thought - but I LOVE it!!

Good luck to you - love to keep hearing how you're doing and going with it all.

OS = oversupply
    OALD = overactive letdown (when the milk comes out forcefully)

@babiestl: To answer your question, oversupply can cause a variety of issues, not the least of which is discomfort for the mother if she misses a nursing or pumping (you can get kind of addicted to the pump)! But also, oversupply increases your changes of getting clogged ducts and mastitis (infection of the breast) because both conditions are aggravated when the breast is not really emptied. For the baby, the oversupply can aggravate an overactive letdown, which can make the poor baby choke and sputter at the breast (making it more difficult to nurse well), and it can also cause a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance which can cause digestive issues for baby.

But basically, a small oversupply is no big deal, and perfect for stashing milk, as you say. But if you're pumping all the time, it can spiral out of control and cause some or all of the problems above. So when you're nursing and getting ready to go back to work, you want to aim to make enough for your baby, plus a bit more to stash in the freezer, and no more than that. You don't need to stop pumping, but I would restrict pumping to once or twice (maximum) per day. And you don't need to give milk in a bottle at all - you can just nurse your baby, and pump solely to stash a little for going back to work. Pumping once or twice at the same time every day is less likely to cause issues than pumping haphazardly around the clock. Doing that, your body quickly gets the impression that you have given birth to four or five babies and it needs to start making enough milk for all of them! While this may SEEM like a good idea, it can actually cause a lot of problems!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Precisely what joe.s.mom said! My OALD was so bad that my son was biting down on my nipples to slow down the flow. He really tore them up, and it almost ended our nursing relationship. Plus the clogs - ouch!

You don't need a huge freezer stash to go back to work. You will be pumping what your baby needs while at work to maintain supply, so you only really need to be a day or two ahead. I worked and pumped more than I needed at work and ended up with a huge freezer stash. At one point I was hospitalized after a severe injury and my husband used a whole bunch of the milk during my hospital stay, and still ended up with milk in the back of the freezer that was too old and had to be tossed.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 16th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.

I'm another mom with the same thing- since birth babies nursing only 5 minutes at best- more like 1-2 minutes. I have OALD and sometimes have struggled with oversupply too. My babies have all gained well and had the right # of poopy and wet diapers. So I try not to worry about it although I have wondered. I never knew WHY this was until this last baby, I think its due to my OALD. I just always tried to trust the weight gain and # of diapers and letting the baby nurse when she wanted to and how long she wanted to. But I never understood how some people could say, read a book while nursing- I'd only get a page or two done and then that was it.

So- like others said- its normal and your baby sounds like she's doing great. I never pumped for my kids and they are all fine and I've had lots of milk. I nursed until DD1 and DD2 were both around 2 1/2 years old and this baby I am now nursing too. Everyone's healthy.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!