Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help. I don't know whats wrong! =(

Default Please help. I don't know whats wrong! =(

Everynight when I'm trying to put my 6 week old down to sleep. She fusses a lot. I know this is normal but it doesn't feel normal to me.
    I'll give her bedtime feed and then all of sudden she comes off, she tries routing and thrashing her legs and arms about. All the while routing for me, my nipple is right there and I push her onto my nipple but she doesn't close her mouth, but she's still routing for me but I'm right there!
    At first I thought maybe she was getting any more milk out so I switched sides. That didn't work. So I make sure she has a good burb. I tried lying her on her belly and on my arm thinking maybe she has gas.
    Which sometimes she does, she farts all the time. But she still cries and still routes for me. This is getting really frustrating for me and I want to fix it. But don't know where to start! Can anyone please recommend what it could be or what to do?
    I'm at my wits end =(

Default Re: Please help. I don't know whats wrong! =(

I have no clue what the issue is but some immediate ideas of things to try come to mind:

have you tried 'laid back nursing'? this is where you lay back and let the babe lie on you to self latch
    have you tied a different environment, dark room, light room, warm bath
    background noises? are there any? have you tried a white noise (fan or sleep machine)?

if someone else posts more valuable suggestions I'd follow their advice I just thought I'd help to brainstorm in the meantime.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Fussiness in the evenings is really common at this stage! It might not really be anything "wrong" - a lot of babies just get really fussy and colicky in the evenings for no good reason, really. I used to do the whole swaddle, wear in a sling, bounce and shush (white noise is great too - even the vacuum cleaner can calm down an inconsolable baby!), etc. Sometimes after wearing Joe in a sling or wrap for a bit, I could get him to finally settle down and nurse, and then sleep. But sometimes it didn't work. We called the late evening "Unhappy Hour." (Sometimes "Hours.") Not fun. But it tends to get better as baby gets older. If baby is happy at other times of day, some evening fussiness is very very normal, almost textbook.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'm also thinking that you're experiencing the evening fussies. The PPs gave some great tips on dealing with it. A warm bath in the sink can also really help- dealing with the unhappy hour(s) is all about changing the baby's sensory input. All of a sudden their little brains are processing a new and different set of stimuli, and they forget to fuss.

Don't let this drive you bonkers. It's very upsetting but it is normal and it is temporary.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    dealing with the unhappy hour(s) is all about changing the baby's sensory input. All of a sudden their little brains are processing a new and different set of stimuli, and they forget to fuss.

Don't let this drive you bonkers. It's very upsetting but it is normal and it is temporary.
    BEST advice ever!!!
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    The bolded + getting fresh air outside in the sling especially has worked well for my kids.
    Going outside was the only way my son would tolerate being consoled by my husband much of he time when he was a newborn. My husband could sometimes even just look out the window with him. My son would also calm down to nurse when I would walk with him in the sling or even just in my arms.

It all passes very quickly, so try to enjoy the things that can be enjoyed right now.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you for all your replies!! We have a little rountine in the evenings and I know she likes to be put down around 8pm. The fussiness stopped for a few days and then it came back. I'm really trying for it not to drive me insane and I tell myself, "this to shall pass' but its really hard when I lie in bed for an hour or more trying to get her to sleep and she's routing for my breast when it is right there infront of her. She'll suck then let go route for it when its right there. Its just so frustrating!
    I've tried even a dummy/paci not interested. My finger nothing. I make sure she's burped. We have a sound machine that plays the waves and white noise. Most nights I think its worked. I just hate being frustrated. :'(

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hpjagged View Post
    I just hate being frustrated. :'(
    welcome to motherhood, some days (and weeks and months) ... hang in there, it does get better!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

This is so normal, the hospital I had DS at even made (yes we were made, wouldn't be released till I signed I watched it!) to watch a video about it!

I fell asleep during it and have no idea what it said to do, but this was my fifth child, so I already knew about the evenings and fussiness! lol

First of all, I want to say your instincts are right on! ALWAYS offer breast first at this age.

Secondly I also say put in sling (especially something like the moby where they are right up skin to skin with you), and step outside. There's something about outside that will almost instantly calm almost ALL babies!

Once baby is calm again, I offer breast again. Sometimes you have to repeatedly go outside, and repeatedly offer breast. It usually only last a few hours and goes in stages like you said, a few days/weeks here and a few days/weeks there...they eventually completely outgrow it though, yippee!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hpjagged View Post
    I just hate being frustrated. :'(
    Sorry to be blunt, but get used to it. Nursing gets easier, but then it's something else. My 18 month old has decided that he likes to shriek and bang his head on the floor.

Motherhood is wonderful, but there will always be frustrations too.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).