Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone Pump at work past the 12 month mark?

Default Re: Anyone Pump at work past the 12 month mark?

My son is 18 months and I'm still pumping. Fortunately I work in a setting where my colleagues are more interested in my work than my parenting methods (which is how it should be).*If someone said "STILL expressing milk???"*to me, I would probably just smile and say "Nothing but the best for my little man."

As far as the Time article, I think it is different when people are talking about a magazine article versus talking to a real life person. It's easy to have an opinion about something to which you have absolutely no personal connection. Opinions can easily change when you know someone doing something successfully. At any rate your parenting is none of your colleagues concern, and I would treat it as such.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hmm, I'm pumping at 6 months postpartum and I occassionally get a comment too. AND I work in healthcare. Lucky for me there's quite a few pumping moms in our department and we kind of support each other.

With our son, I pumped until he was one then pump weaned and just nursed. It worked out just fine...we nursed until I weaned him at 2 yrs.

In case you are looking for more info on breastfeeding past the 1 year mark, kellymom.com has good info. According to the site, "Although there has been little research done on children who breastfeed beyond the age of two, the available information indicates that breastfeeding continues to be a valuable source of nutrition and disease protection for as long as breastfeeding continues."

Here's the link for more info:

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/

i just read in "How weaning happens" that the milk actually gets more concentrated in terms of immunological and nutritional properties as baby gets older, because there's less volume. How cool!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I'm going to have to continue to pump because I work nights as nurse and my little man will need bottles to go to sleep at night. I'm sure my coworkers will say stuff behind my back. But not to my face. So oh well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I am Kate
    Wife to Jason
    Mom to Aubrey 4/06 queen
    Mom to Nathan 5/08 Relactated for him and he got EBM for a year
    Mom to Jack 8/11

Kellymom has a great article, interviewing the ladies of the Time magazine photos. It was posted on 5/24 in the blogs. You may find some useful info in the way these moms responded to Kelly mom readers' questions. Good luck, and follow your intuition!