Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Pump at work past the 12 month mark?

Default Anyone Pump at work past the 12 month mark?

I don't feel any need to "leave milk" behind after my baby turns 12 months, however I have it it mind that keeping 1 pump during my workday will allow me to continue a nice little supply to keep up nursing outside of work hours, including before a mid-day nap on the weekends.

However, ever since my son turned around 8 months, my coworkers in my small office started saying "STILL expressing milk???" when they see me going to pump.

With the recent Time Magazine Cover sparking office discussion, I've heard many remarks about how kids should not nurse after they [have teeth, have solids, walk, this that and the other thing]

I don't want to fold to the pressure but I don't want to make myself out to be a weirdo in the office either. People will probably directly ask me why I am pumping.
    I am not sure my answer will "suffice" since my son doesn't "need" breastmilk at that point. God forbid I say I am happy to continue the nursing...

Default Re: Anyone Pump at work past the 12 month mark?

There are a bunch of women on here who pumped at work past the year mark! And many others of us stopped pumping at working at one year, but continued to nurse evenings and weekends, indefinitely (this was me - even though I stopped pumping during the day at work, there was still milk during the day on the weekends if my LO wanted it - magic!!).

Please ignore that article and all of the hub-bub around it. If you want to pump at work and leave milk for your baby after a year, you should just do that, and I think it's perfect to just say you are happy to continue nursing. Or you can do what I did, shrug, and say, "Yes, I'm weaning him, but it's gradual." (VERY VERY gradual. ) But if you want to give up pumping at work, it doesn't mean you have to give up nursing at home. After a year, your supply is pretty flexible - when your baby wants milk, it's there. When you don't need it, you're fine. So either way you want to go. Hopefully this publicity over this article will die down quickly and we can all get back to just doing our thing.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I started to pump wean at 14 months , and I continued nursing until just before my son's third birthday
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

By the way, I kept up a pump at work with my first son until he was 18 months, however in that situation my coworkers were not really aware that I was doing it. Only some unrelated-employees saw me and looked at me like an alien.

But now I am in a small office, everyone knows wazzup and as mentioned people have verbalized asking why I am still doing it NOW even.

That Time cover was wacky, but I have been amazed at how freely coworkers express their opinions about how nursing is "supposed" to end so early, not thinking it might be offensive.

I pumped until 14 months and 13 months respectively. Try to stand up for what YOU want with pumping, your co-workers don't parent your kids. You're doing a GREAT thing for you and for baby!!!

I like the cover, that mama is a member here
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It's the content of the article that is making me twitchy. And all of the really negative reactions.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

i stopped pumping at work once my lo turned 12 months but i still pump twice a week b/c i get home after his is asleep (he is 14 months). people at my work knew that i pumped for 12 months and everyone who ever mentioned it to me stated that they were impressed with my motivation to keep breast feeding. i was quite proud of myself and you should be too. for me it felt great to stop pumping at work mostly b/c i could get my lunch break back, go out, hang with co workers, run errands...

if you still want to pump after 12 months i say go for it girl. if your co workers ask "why" you can say that you are not done bfing yet and leave it at that.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Interesting that your co-workers are talking about it. Mine haven't made a peep. But we have already established that we do not see eye to eye on parenting choices. When ever the subject comes up (we have a lot of new babies and pregnant mamas) I just say 'well I have a different theory and my DH and DS are happy with it.' I leave it at that. So, long as they don't start treating me differently in professional situations I'm fine with them thinking I'm weird. I truly believe that this is best.

I also wanted to address the whole thing about your LO not 'needing' you milk after 12 mo. My understanding is that isn't true at all and there is lots of info out there to support that. DH encountered this same argument this weekend around his family (I wasn't there). He bluntly stated that extended BFing had several benefits and he said everyone just said 'oh' and got quiet. Maybe if you interject research that contradicts their perceptions they may change their mind and actually not think your weird.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

my son is almost 15 months and i still pump. i cut down to once a day. he only takes one bottle when i am at work, just to take his nap.

on the weekends he nurses a lot.

it can be hard at first to do something other people are putting down. stand up for what you want mama.

saying you are "happy to pump for your lo" is just fine. people are idiots sometimes and why would you let them dictate your life?

sounds to me like you know what you want for you lo, so go ahead and do it

I pumped to 15/16 months with my daughter. My son is 20 months. I'm goin back to work and I've considered pumping for about a month to help ease the transition. Don't let anyone influence your parenting. You know what's right for your child. We, as a community, are here to support you when no one else does.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn