Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 mos, Time for solids?

Default 7 mos, Time for solids?

I'm trying to EBF for 1 year. With the exception of a few times when I have been gone or we have been out Sadie has only had breastmilk. The other times she had baby food, not formula. Everytime we sit down to eat or she even sees grown up food she freaks out. She wants solids so bad!! I'm just not ready to start weaning her but I think she's ready. Any suggestions? My twins are 5 and bf for 10 mos and never went to formula.They were just done with bfing despite my efforts. But they started on solids at 4 mos. I think that was way too early but I wasn't informed at the time. Sadie will be 8 mos on the 28th.

Default Re: 7 mos, Time for solids?

Look for the physiological signs of readiness:
    - interest in foods
    - able to sit up on own
    - lost gag reflex
    - has pincer grip

Most babies are physiologically ready sometime around 6 months. I don't see any reason you have to withhold solids from your baby at 7.5 months if she wants them; remember that milk is still the primary food till a year. So nurse first, then let her experiment with food! Most babies, even when their caregivers try to transition them to food sooner/faster, still don't take a large proportion of their calories from food till a year or later. So don't worry about it too much.

Usually when people say "Exclusively Breast Fed" there's some confusion about what precisely that means. My understanding is it means nothing but breastmilk till the start of foods (sometime around 6 months), then breastmilk + foods after that (no formula). Though milk is sufficient nutritionally for a year, I think it would be pretty hard socially to avoid foods for 12 months!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PP. It sounds like your baby is ready for solids. But introducing solids does not have to spell the end of breastfeeding, particularly if:
    - you always nurse before offering solids
    - keep the quantity of solid food small

You might want to search this forum for threads on "baby led solids" or "BLS". It's a very breastfeeding-friendly approach to solids. And it is much easier for mom and dad- no spoons!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!! I have one of those mesh things you put frozen fruit in but she got so mad at the table last night because she wanted what we were having!! So she got some bites of re-fried beans :/ I guess I was worried about affecting my supply. I can't even eat in front of her and I feel like I'm depriving her lol. I guess I'll start introducing more for her She's going to be so happy lol.

bites of refried beans is perfect!!

we did/do BLS and love it - no purees, no spoons. dylan's favorite at the beginning was a big floret of broccoli; he would suck and gnaw all the sauce off the top while holding the stem. could keep him busy for awhile, and wasn't much caloric intake. he also really liked meats; when we went to restaurants where we got meat on the bone, i would cut/eat almost all the meat off mine, then give him the bone to hang on to and gnaw on.

just nurse first and you'll be ok!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*holly25 View Post
    Thank you!! I have one of those mesh things you put frozen fruit in but she got so mad at the table last night because she wanted what we were having!! So she got some bites of re-fried beans :/ I guess I was worried about affecting my supply. I can't even eat in front of her and I feel like I'm depriving her lol. I guess I'll start introducing more for her She's going to be so happy lol.
    Look into Baby Led Weaning. If she is looking at what you are eating and wanting that this might work best for you. It lets them lead the way and choose how much they eat. And the best part NO PUREES
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Wow! I have never heard of no purees!! I can't wait to read more about it. She doesn't have any teeth, is that ok?

yup. no teeth necessary. let them gum things. really, it all boils down to - let the baby eat the parts of your dinner that are appropriate. dont' do anything special, just cook for yourself. this assumes you eat relatively healthy, not-so-salty foods. but even spicy things are fine - my baby LOVES his spicy thai and indian food - he just asks to nurse in the middle of meals
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

No teeth required. Start by steaming a carrot or a sweet potato, mash it up, put it on your LO's high chair tray, and let hrr explore it with her hands and suck it off her fingers. It will be messy, but so what! That's what washing machines and bathtubs are for. Letting your LO feed herself means that in general, you aren't using spoons or purees. You're letting her practice her hand-eye coordination and also lettiner her decide what to eat and how much to eat. It's very compatible with the self-regulation skills that breastfed babies have by virtue of being breastfed babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    but even spicy things are fine - my baby LOVES his spicy thai and indian food - he just asks to nurse in the middle of meals
    HAH! I was wondering how this worked: we like eating thai and indian foods, too, and I wasn't sure how to do that with BLS.