Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will it ever get better?

Default Will it ever get better?

My DD is almost 8mos. We just started introducing solids. I have battled thrush, raynaud's and blisters. It has been a constant struggle to breastfeed. My left nipple which was the one that I had less problems with has little white blisters, and now, blood blisters. Last week DD turned her head without unlatching and left me dripping blood. I am now developing an infection. My breast is turning red and I just feel yucky all over. I have been to different LC'S and none see any problem with her latch. There are also no frenum or palate problems. I have started Lethicin for the blisters/plugged ducts (which I have had about 10 times) and about to start Mag/Cal for the Raynauds and currently taking colloidal silver and garlic for the infection. Has anyone else had such a hard time breastfeeding or taken any of these supplements? My breast and nipple hurt so bad I can barely stand it anymore but I refuse to give up. My other nipple that is not painful is always bright pink and white or has a little of a purple-ish tint but does not hurt at all anymore. And advice would be great, especially regarding the supplements. I am just at a loss on what to do. There are not a lot of resources in my area that I can afford right now as far as IBCLC goes. Thanks!

Default Re: Will it ever get better?

Sorry you are having such a rough time! I am sure there are mommas here who have btdt who can offer suggestions and support. I have a coupld of ideas, of course you have likely tried everything by now but anyway:
    If you feel yucky all over, that indeed does sounds like an infection. I know lots of folks prefer to avoid antibiotics, but sometimes they are needed. Recurring plugs have been linked to low lying breast infection that has never resolved. Just a thought.

Blood blisters are typically caused by friction, not plugged ducts (blebs.) So that does sound to me like latch may be involved. Certainly no matter what else is going on (thrush, raynauds, mastitis) a poor latch makes it feel worse and a good latch makes it at least a bit better. Is there any positon that feels better? Positioning at this age can really make a difference in latch, as bigger baby needs more room to get that head back, wide open latch. Will baby open wider if you ask and show her how by opening your mouth wide?

Was baby ever assesed for posterior tt?

milk blister vs. friction blister: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

recurrent mastitis and plugged ducts http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...rent-mastitis/

plugs and blebs: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

mastitis: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

blocked ducts and mastitis: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

LLLMeg gave excellent suggestions. In addition, this one on vasospasm may have some useful information: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

I am sure the garlic, Mg/Ca, and lecithin will not hurt at all. I have taken lecithin for plugs, Mg/Ca for bones, and have always eaten a ton of garlic! Colloidal silver is a little more dodgy, IMO- you don't want to take too much and turn blue, right? I'd look into a course of antibiotics first, and definitely make sure the doc cultures the milk before you take anything. Too many women take the wrong abx and then the mastitis recurs.

If you have any questions about the safety of a medication, Infant Risk is a good resource: http://www.infantrisk.com/

Hang in there, mama! You're awesome for continuing to battle on for this long.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for all the info. After reading I think that the white blisters may be clogged pores? They are callused feeling and very small. I know the red blood blister just happened yesterday after I was very engorged because she had slept all night. I think she may have not had a good latch because of that. I took 2 doses back to back of diflucan just in case there was a yeast infection in my ducts. A midwife that I see as a LC told me the colloidal silver 3x a day. Just until the infection clears. I really dont want to take abx because I get yeast from them. As far as positioning goes, we started out with a football hold bc thats what I was used to after bfing my twins. She absolutely refused other positions. After things were not resolving as far as the pain/blisters/plugs I finally got her to nurse cross cradle and things started feeling better. However a couple weeks ago I went back to football on left side because I though maybe it would help to keep switching up. And it did but then it got worse again and now if I switch to cc on the left side I start bleeding. So I think Ill stick to fb hold on the left and cc on the right. That seems to be the only way its working for now. I cant feel any plugs where Im turning red but it's definitely infected. Is it more likely from the open sore or is there a plug somewhere? My breastis definitely sore where the redness is.

I doubt there is a way to tell how the infection started, from plug, open wound or a combo. Mastitis is also sometimes a very harsh reminder that we are doing too much. Please keep a very close eye on the infection, and do the other things generally reccomended for mastitis-empty the breast, get lots of rest. You are truly ill, get any and all help you can. Breast infections can possibly lead to quite serious health issues, even hospitalization and abcess. Truly I understand not wanting to take antibiotics due to the risk of thrush I hope the silver works I know nothing about that treatment. Purely from a momma overall health aspect, mastitis is potentialy far more serious than thrush...

When you feel better, you can see if baby will try different positions. 8 months is a long time to be nursing in a football or cross cradle, fine of course if it works, but for many 8 month olds they are simply getting too big for these classic infant positions. You can work on modifying these positions a tad so baby's torso is not curled too much and the chin is not tucked at all.

One position I have seen mommas with longer/older babies use with great success is to lean back a bit and have baby come to the breast in the same up and down alignment as mom-you can have babies legs go down between your legs, or have baby straddle one leg, or legs shifted to one side, whatever works. Also have you ever been able to do a side-lying position?

Thanks for the positioning info. I had no idea about her being too big. I have fed her upright in a wrap before. Im still feeling really terrible. Some of the redness has faded but I had the dr call in Keflex and Diflucan. I think I may have to resort to taking them because I just dont feel well at all and the silver doesnt seem to be working fast enough Since it started on Friday Im scared to wait too much longer. My whole body and bones are achy.

Gentle . Take the antibiotics, mama. Get rid of the infection and you'll have the strength to deal with any aftermath.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

none of that sounds like a good time. hope it gets better.

I got in to see an IBCLC. We figured out the cause of all the issues and Im feeling so much better! Sadie was turning my nipple up and sandwiching it at the peak of her palate. The upright position seems to be working wonders even though we are still getting used to it =)

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.