Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many wet dia[ers does your LO have?

Default How many wet dia[ers does your LO have?

My darling use to have about 9 but now that she sleeps longer through the night so she has about 7 sometimes 6, is this ok?
    disposable nappies.

I"m worried about her wet diapers as I thought she'd have more - she has about 2 to 3 poops.

I'm trying the vacation nursing today and I thought that might increase her diaper outlet but it seems to have slowed it down although she is just comfort nursing mainly I think.

Anyway love to know how many wet diapers you experience and if i'm just being an overly paranoid BF mumma - thank you!

She was 6.10oz at birth then 6oz on leaving and now at 8 weeks is 11IBS.

x
    Last edited by @llli*tanpixie; May 22nd, 2012 at 02:12 PM.

Default Re: How many wet dia[ers does your LO have?

What you describe sounds perfectly normal. Babies will start having fewer wet diapers as they get bigger and can hold their urine a little longer. 6 wets is perfectly fine. Poops tend to decrease in frequency too, so don't be alarmed if that happens. As few as one poop a week can be normal after a certain point.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: How many wet dia[ers does your LO have?

Additionally - Here is some info on normal nursing indicators (including diaper output).

This is particularly relevant after 2 weeks:

Dirty diapers: Expect 3-4+ stools daily that are the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. Some babies stool every time they nurse, or even more often–this is normal, too. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is yellow and loose (soft to runny) and may be seedy or curdy. After 4 – 6 weeks, some babies stool less frequently, with stools as infrequent as one every 7-10 days. As long as baby is gaining well, this is normal.

Wet diapers: Expect 5-6+ wet diapers every 24 hours. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper. A piece of tissue in a disposable diaper will help you determine if the diaper is wet. After 6 weeks, wet diapers may drop to 4-5/day but amount of urine will increase to 4-6+ tablespoons (60-90+ mL) as baby’s bladder capacity grows.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).