Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Binki help (paci, dummy, whatever)

Default Binki help (paci, dummy, whatever)

I feel like a horrible mom because I've resorted to one. My daughter is 6.5 weeks and we initially just used it in the carseat (since I couldn't put her to breast) but have recently discovered that when she fussy and pulling at my breast she'll take the bink and drift off to sleep. I feel like I'm somehow depriving her of something or somehow it's going to effect my supply. I'm half positive both are irrational but I need reassurance (or to be told it will). We started with the smoothie and in the last day transitioned to an orthodontic bink and she doesn't seem to have a problem latching.

Default Re: Binki help (paci, dummy, whatever)

My son took a pacifier too (refused to comfort nurse due to OALD), and we had absolutely no problems with milk supply, weight gain, attachment, etc. I think as long as you use it judiciously you should be fine. You can keep an eye on diapers if you are worried about supply and nurse more if you see a drop. You're not a horrible mom; let go of that.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Not to worry, it's just a tool. Using one at 6.5 weeks should not present a problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i know how you're feeling, i felt the same way when i caved in when my 2nd son (almost 8 weeks) was about 4.5 weeks old. he would get himself so worked up and screaming, when he was ready to fall asleep, and if he was able to find his fingers and suck on the them, it would comfort him, but he didn't have the coordination to keep the fingers in his mouth....so i caved and gave him the binki....he only uses it when he needs it...i think some babies just get a comfort feeling from sucking, and if they are done with a breast feeding session, and want something to suck (without milk coming out), i think there's nothing wrong with giving them a binki

Both of my boys used pacifiers without any problem, although DS2 has now transitioned to his thumb.

And I must admit that I first read the title as "Bikini help" which was definitely a more surprising title.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

A lot of the moms here use pacifiers. As long as you introduce it late enough that it doesn't cause nipple confusion, I think it's no biggie (IMHO). I WISH Joe had taken to one, but he wouldn't take anything but the boob for a long time. Now he won't let go of his bottle. It's always something!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

No worries at all! I've started using one quite a bit with DD. She won't comfort nurse and when she has the paci (we use the MAM pacis) she will usually put herself to sleep when she is tired. Remember - you're the parent so you can control it's use. With my son, he used it quite often as an infant. As he became an older baby, we limited it to sleeping (and emergency situations like airplane rides ). Around his second birthday I decided to test the waters of not using it for sleep and one night we told him we couldn't find it and we'd have to find it later. He went right to sleep and never mentioned it again. End of paci. Let it be your friend now and then you can set limits around it later.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I always get dumped on for this but a small caution. Yes, delaying use of a pacifier is helpful, but it is also important to be careful to not OVERUSE the pacifier no matter when it is introduced. Some babies can and do pacify though feedings or miss too much comfort nursing due to pacifying too often on the pacifier rather than at the breast and this may in some cases cause unnaturally longer sleep stretches, or stretches between feedings, and thus lead to low milk supply or even weight gain issues at any age. This has nothing to do with the pacifier affecting latch, it has to do with the pacifier possibly doing its job of pacifying too well. I promise I am not the anti-paci police. If pacifier use helps moms I am all for it. I know there are many moms who have used them with no issues. But I have also talked to many moms who have trouble that can be pretty reliably traced to paci over use-even months down the line. And studies have shown that overuse of pacifiers can cause earlier breastfeeding cessation.
    Use a paci by all means if it is helpful to you and baby. It’s likely fine. But to avoid even the potential of issues, I simply suggest always using them thoughtfully and judiciously.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I always get dumped on for this but a small caution. Yes, delaying use of a pacifier is helpful, but it is also important to be careful to not OVERUSE the pacifier no matter when it is introduced. Some babies can and do pacify though feedings or miss too much comfort nursing due to pacifying too often on the pacifier rather than at the breast and this may in some cases cause unnaturally longer sleep stretches, or stretches between feedings, and thus lead to low milk supply or even weight gain issues at any age. This has nothing to do with the pacifier affecting latch, it has to do with the pacifier possibly doing its job of pacifying too well. I promise I am not the anti-paci police. If pacifier use helps moms I am all for it. I know there are many moms who have used them with no issues. But I have also talked to many moms who have trouble that can be pretty reliably traced to paci over use-even months down the line. And studies have shown that overuse of pacifiers can cause earlier breastfeeding cessation.
    Use a paci by all means if it is helpful to you and baby. It’s likely fine. But to avoid even the potential of issues, I simply suggest always using them thoughtfully and judiciously.
    I always thought of it as a check list. Is baby hungry? Is baby wet/poopy? Does baby just want to be held? Use of the pacifier was always after all of these were no.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks guys!! I truly only use it if he won't comfort nurse or I can't let her bc were in the car (or if my moms around and I don't want to hear the flack for letting her "sleep on the boob").