Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 7.5 month biting at beginning of session

Default Re: 7.5 month biting at beginning of session

The idea that biting can't be unlearned is ridiculous. My son was biting around 10/11 months and learned not to bite fairly easily. Don't let misguided ideas discourage you.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I thought it was an odd thing for her to say. She also said her children (3) weaned themselves right after the first teeth came in. While I know all children are different, this, too seems odd to me.

We went to our regular breastfeeding group today (group is laughable, is usually just me & a friend, no new mommies ) and the IBCLC that leads the meetings & has known us since Aidan was 3 weeks brainstormed with me for an hour as to why his behaviour suddenly changed in a matter of days. We watched him take his bottle by himself and it occurred to both of us it may be a combination of his independence & the flow of milk with teething. He feeds himself a bottle. You hand it & he goes. To alleviate him sucking down 8 oz in a matter of minutes & complaining of a sore tummy later grandparents & dad (with my approval) would just set a bottle of milk where ever he was playing & he would snack at will. When he's at the table with us eating, he has a NUK cup with the breast to bottle spout that he handles on his own. We also stopped warming his milk in January during the last bottle battle to get him to not prefer the bottle & out of convenience for his caregivers. Of course now the cold milk is more preferable when his gums are all swollen. Dad also sticks a full 10 oz bottle on the bed so Aidan finds it, feeds himself throughout the night & goes back to sleep - dreamfeeding with a bottle of sorts (they sleep together while I'm working overnights ). She tried to take a look at the latch but he refuses still.

So, progress in identifying reasons to the boob refusal. I ordered a Calma nipple & will pull the Breastflow bottles out of the attic tomorrow. & maybe start warming the milk.

I have to say this to any new mammas or soon to be mammas, if you can possibly arrange for staying at home or alternative feeding methods, do it. Breastfeeding was never an issue until the bottle was introduced. I saw a comment in another post to the effect of "if i could slap the bottle out of my hand when she was 4 weeks, I would." I have to agree. If I had done more scouring of these forums while I was pregnant, reading of real life experiences of nursing older babies I would have made better arrangements to stay home or started with alternative feedings.

Can you cut back on this easy access to the bottle? Maybe if bottle feeding were more like breastfeeding - like, he has to ask a caretaker, and then snuggle while he drinks his milkies - his preference wouldn't be as extreme? I would also serve water at meals rather than milk.

I work full time too, and Joe also got bottles when I was gone, so I totally get wanting to keep my baby's caretakers happy, but it does seem like this (extremely) easy access to the bottle is really hurting your breastfeeding relationship.

Changing out nipples and warming the milk seems like a good first step. I would also stop just leaving full bottles around for him.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Easy access to the bottle ended yesterday. Making his caretakers happy is currently on the low end of my priority list. They're not helping much in the way of my bruised & bloody nipple so preferential treatment is over.

I hate to make him have to ask for food & thought if he could regulate it himself, like he does with breastfeeding it would be easier? Not sure if that makes much sense. His caregivers still don't seem to recognize his hungry signs & I was still getting the "he couldn't be hungry, he just ate" recaps of the day, which led to the bottles laying around. When it's just us he snacks about once an hour (now thinking not snacks but comforts) & has a big nursing session about every 4 hours so I thought they would be mimicking that.

Water usually is in the cup at mealtime. Depending on if he nursed first or not. Before the strike it was hard to get him to concentrate on nursing unless we lay down in bed & if he knows table foods going on he won't nurse even then.

I find what's fantastic about these forums is that it helps clear the mind for a few moments to see from another point of view & realize where the weak point is & fix it. Hopefully the nipple change & more difficult access will help the strike end. We've made it too far to make me start pumping full time now!

The only thing that gives me pause about going back a few steps is that I really am enjoying his independence, seeing him as a little person discovering the world on his own & growing out of his taxing reliance of others. Not taxing on us, taxing on him. I can just imagine being trapped in the little baby brain trying to make things works but getting so frustrated no one around me could understand & having a body that isn't ready to physically comply. But, he hasn't even been around this world for 8 months & is getting too big for his britches. Guess we have to remind him he's still a baby.
    Last edited by @llli*5p1d3yv; May 18th, 2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: (wording was confusing)

good luck mama! it occurs to me maybe you can teach him to sign milk, to ask for it when he wants? he's abojt the right age to be able to make the connection soon, and that way his cues will be much clearer for his caregivers. plus it's so AMAZING when they figure out the connection between a sign and a concept.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    good luck mama! it occurs to me maybe you can teach him to sign milk, to ask for it when he wants? he's abojt the right age to be able to make the connection soon, and that way his cues will be much clearer for his caregivers. plus it's so AMAZING when they figure out the connection between a sign and a concept.
    Good idea! And learning to ask or cue people around you for food is a skill that really enhances, rather than impedes, independence, you know? Changing this one thing isn't going to make him less independent, trust me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

We started introducing signs for all the english words he understands around 5 months. Milk, hug, kiss, more, change. He's not picking it up as I expected, he's better at sounds than hands? When he's tired & hungry he will repeat the "mi" syllable a few times until he gets milk. The closest thing we can get to his signing for milk is a closed fist turning like how a child mimics a motorcyle. Adam & I can pick up on this but the grandparents don't see it. They see it as just random baby movements. They're not quite as forward-thinking as we would like, very traditional children sleeping in their own rooms & bottle fed cows milk type people. They're mostly supportive of breastfeeding but think it should have ended at 6 months & mostly smile & nod at my requests but don't ever see them really complying.

Switched to the Breastflow bottles today. He was not happy with the change. We started with those bottles but changed to the MAM bottle because we mistook oversupply for bottle induced gas. When he started biting on the nipple of the bottle I would say "no bite", he would laugh, & I would set the bottle down & give him a teething ring. Still not taking the boob but didn't scream at it. Just pursed lips & turned away. Better than crying, I suppose. The rejection gets easier.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*5p1d3yv View Post
    We started introducing signs for all the english words he understands around 5 months. Milk, hug, kiss, more, change. He's not picking it up as I expected, he's better at sounds than hands?
    Keep at it; it can take a while. We started around 6 months, but my son didn't really use it too much until closer to a year. His language skills are developing beautifully, but it is still nice for him to know his signs.

It sounds like you are making some progress, and doing well with working on the biting. Good luck!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

yep, i saw DS use the milk sign once around 8 months, and then didn't really have a breakthough until close to 11 months. now it's clear when he makes it and that he knows what it means.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Joe was kind of late on these things (he was a late talker as well) so he didn't use the signs until closer to 18 months, but then suddenly, he was using a TON of signs. So I agree - it's worth persevering, but it can take a while to see results.

You can call me JoMo!