Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stuffy nose baby will not nurse!

Default stuffy nose baby will not nurse!

my dd has a cold and no matter how much i try she just can't get unstopped! how
    can i help her bf with this stuffy nose?

audrey: SAHM to 3! ds born 1/03(bf 10 weeks/ff), dd born 8/07(bf 4.5 months/ff),
    dd born 6/11(bf 11 months and counting!)

Default Re: stuffy nose baby will not nurse!

Taking a long, hot shower helps my son (and me) with congestion more than anything else. Relief is very temporary, but I can usually get one or two good feedings in during that time. I also use a drop of breast milk or saline solution and then a nasal aspirator, which helps a little.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Steam baths are great, saline solutions with nasal aspirator another good one. Try nursing her on an upright position.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lasbi.modeu View Post
    Steam baths are great, saline solutions with nasal aspirator another good one. Try nursing her on an upright position.
    This! DD only got sick a couple times in her first year, but both of those were severe congestion type sick. I'd take her into the bathroom and shut the door, run the shower as hot as it'd go and just sit with her in the steam for a few minutes. Then I'd use saline and a bulb-syringe to get as much congestion out as I could. Usually I'd have to lay her on the floor, and kneel over her to pin her arms down at her side with my legs, and hold her head still with one hand while suctioning her nose with the other. It sounds horrible, and she thought she was being tortured, but it helped clear ner nose enough to nurse for a little while.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Have you tried nursing her in the bathtub? My little guy actually hated taking baths until he got sick the first time, and he was so stuffed up and coughing so bad I took him into the tub and ran the water, then he was able to nurse and actually doze off a little.

I think shooting a few drops of breastmilk in a dropper up the nose is the easiest way. It doesn't take long and your baby doesn't feel tortured and it gets you as long as saline or using the suction. It clears the baby right up so that they can feed. It's not long term. But neither is anything else being suggested and it takes way less time to do. And doesn't make the baby mad or freaked out.

Way too lazy for formula

I had this same question yesterday and I took everyone's advice--sorta. I'm not comfortable getting into the tub w/ LO (I'm scared I will let her slip or something), so I altered it just a bit. I turned the shower on as hot as it would go, steamed up the bathroom and nursed DD (10 months old) at about a 45 degree angle while I sat on the edge of the tub. It was the ONLY way I could get her to nurse (or consume anything but water for that matter) for about 12 hours. The only other thing, which is a last ditch effort IMHO (I ended up having to do it before I read this post) is to pump it and give a bottle/sippy (I gave it in a sippy because we are getting rid of bottles completely soon and I knew she was hungry).