Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hungry or teething?

Default Hungry or teething?

Firstly I will give you a little bit of our history.
    My son is 4 months and 3 weeks as of today. We had a rough start with BFing as I had a low supply due to some issues at the start. We have just in the last month got ourselves established with BFing and have cut out formula top ups all together (yay us!).
    I was on donperidone for about 3 weeks and then slowly cut it out. As of about 4 days ago I stopped taking it all together. (I weaned off of it over about 2.5 weeks).
    So the problem is now over the last few days, baby has become increasingly fussy in the evenings (around his normal bed time) and in the morning for a short while as well. He's waking up one to two times more during the night and wakes an hour earlier then he was before.
    He has more dirty nappies then he was when we were having the feeding problems (one every couple days) and has enough wet nappies.
    He got a cold about 2 and a half weeks ago which didnt seem to effect his mood and hes still a bit stuffy from that.
    I've been weighing him weekly and the first week he had the cold he lost 180 grams. The next week he gained 660 grams (wow!) but this week he has lost 23 grams.
    I'm wondering if this is because he is sick, or if hes not getting enough milk because Ive gone off the pills.
    He is happy and smily through the day but gets fussy and starts crying around bedtime more then is normal for him.
    I nurse him about every 2 hours. Sometimes even 1.5 hours.
    Also I will add, when hes having his tantrum in the evening I try nursing in case it is hunger and he will nurse for a minute or two but does not do the same pulling on the nipple thing he did when he wasnt getting enough milk... instead he just sucks for a bit and then lets the nipple fall out of his mouth.

He has been drooling a lot and chewing on anything he can get into his mouth.
    Any ideas if this is teething, or something more?
    Thanks for your help!
    Chloe and Jack
    Last edited by @llli*islandclo; May 28th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Default Re: Hungry or teething?

on no more formula! That's fantastic! If he's having plenty of wet diapers, intake should be fine. Sounds very much like teething. Aidan did this around the same time. We used Hylands teething tablets & a little bit of acetaminophen administered about an hour before bed. Also used Sophie la Giraffe & were able to cut out the tablets & acetaminophen. Then we got an amber teething necklace & he fussed a lot less in going to sleep. Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply 5p1d3yv

So its normal for a teething baby to be fussy at feeding time and do lots of grisling and pulling off the nipple?? Because it seems quite similar to what he was doing before when I didnt have enough milk. Just worried its gone back to that since Ive cut out the pills. Hopefully its just teething though!
    Had a good night last night... he was up a couple times earier in the night and then slept from 4 to 7:15 makes it much easier to deal with stuff when you've had a good night sleep!

I just had a good look in his mouth and I can see teeth under the skin! How exciting! (Until he starts biting me haha).
    I'm still worried about my supply... but I have a feeling that will be my 'go to' worry thing until we've been nursing successfully without the pills for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*islandclo View Post
    makes it much easier to deal with stuff when you've had a good night sleep!
    yup! & thankful for mamma hormones that let us think 3 hrs is a good nights sleep!

When Aidan's teeth came through I was so proud of this accomplishment, like he had something to do with it! It is exciting. I wouldn't worry about the biting if bottles and pacifiers are well managed. Most moms get a distracted nip here & there but nothing too terrible. When he starts biting on toys & things now try saying "bite bite bite" and when he starts biting something you don't want him to say "no bite". It seems silly because he's so young & can't possibly understand but later you'll be glad.

It's probably going to be difficult for you to not worry about your supply because you had such a rough start. Try to keep in mind as long as his wet diapers are plentiful everything's going well.

Keep up the great job!