Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help, almost 3 weeks and ready to give up

Default Re: Help, almost 3 weeks and ready to give up

the first time around, i never got that bonding feeling from breastfeeding, but i did feel bonded to my son all the same. but this 2nd time around (my second one is almost 8 weeks), i am getting that bonding feeling from nursing, i think because when i nursed him in those early days/weeks, nursing was the only time i got to hold him on some days (due to visitors holding him for hours!)....and its totally normal in those early weeks to feel like all you do is nurse nurse nurse! sometimes by little guy would want to eat every hour, or sometimes he'd nurse for almost an hour all together......like you i was totally uncomfortable nursing son number one in public, i would go into a changing room at a store, or sit in my car. the second time around, i'll nurse pretty much anywhere (always covered), i've nursed at restaurants, playgrounds, bowling alleys......i'd say if your baby is latching on and feeding well, then you are doing something right! good job!!! hang in there if you can, and it will get easier......at the end of the day though, you have to do what works best for you and your baby. and don't let anyone make you feel guilty about whatever choice you make. good luck!

It sounds stupid and like too little to do much good, but if you even can make it out to the backyard for 5 minutes, or down the driveway to check the mail, or water some plants, or something, it can refresh you both.

If breastfeeding is going well, the latch is good, and you're not having any problems, then you should be able to introduce the occasional bottle with expressed breastmilk very soon. We usually recommend not introducing a bottle until four weeks, which is right around the corner for you.

I'll be honest and say I introduced one to my baby at three weeks (I had oversupply and a lot of pain while nursing so I was pumping instead of nursing sometimes to give my poor nipples a break - this was bad for oversupply, as it turned out, but fine otherwise) and it was not a problem. (There was more of a risk of nipple confusion, but luckily it just didn't happen in my case.) That way, my DH could give a bottle and I could get out of the house, or just take a bath and relax with my book.

Things are going to ease up soon. Right now, it seems like formula is easier than breastfeeding, but in a month, the reverse will be true.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Things are going to ease up soon. Right now, it seems like formula is easier than breastfeeding, but in a month, the reverse will be true.

That is so, so, so true. I wanted to give up so badly early on, and I had to ask myself this in between every. single. feeding. - when I look back on this short time in our lives, will I regret being miserable for a few weeks or regret giving up on providing my baby with the best possible nutrition? For me, the answer was clear and eventually things did get better and I have never once looked back and regretted those several weeks of misery. I see it as one of the most worthwhile things I've ever done. And eventually it did become about bonding in addition to nutrition, but that took quite a while.

I do think you need to try to get out of the house. Nursing in a sling/carrier makes getting out super simple, pumping a bottle of milk until you are more comfortable with NIP (that can take some time too, so no worries about that) is a good alternative, and I think Rakoonz suggestion to just do some quick things right outside the house is a good one too when you can't get away for longer times. Everyone needs to get outside sometimes, and being able to do that might help you feel better about sticking it out for a few more weeks.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I agree too- formula seems easier RIGHT NOW but won't be later when you have to haul it with you, make sure its all properly prepared, go to the store to get more, make sure its the right temperature, etc. etc...nursing in one way it much more "lazy" because it does get easier.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nola View Post
    I agree too- formula seems easier RIGHT NOW but won't be later when you have to haul it with you, make sure its all properly prepared, go to the store to get more, make sure its the right temperature, etc. etc...nursing in one way it much more "lazy" because it does get easier.
    Or wake up to make it in the middle of the night.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.