Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biological nursing questions

Default Biological nursing questions

Hi all, I am new here and this is my first post. My son is 8 weeks and has gained fantastic weight (started at 7.7 and is now 15.10). Despite this, we have had a ton of challenges: tongue tie, vasospasms, lots of nipple soreness, oversupply.

I recently tried the biological nursing position and was very happy at his latch and lack of nipple soreness. But a few questions:

1. When he is latched, he naturally rests his head on one side of the breast. It feels like that side is getting squished and I am worried that the milk isn't flowing through those ducts. My breasts still feel a bit hard on the side that he rests his face on. How do I correct this and is it a problem?

2. He tends to nurse a long time but sometimes my breasts don't feel very emptied. Is this may be due to his resting his face on the breasts?

Any help you can provide will be appreciated for this first time mom!

Default Re: Biological nursing questions

I am glad you have discovered bio. Nurturing. Remember this is a style more than one set position. Try shifting baby around, baby can come to the breast from any direction. You can try being less reclined etc. play around and change things up and don't have baby in one position for two long if you think the pressure from babies head is causing an issue.

Thanks! I usually bring him from the bottom and up to the breast. Any suggestions how else he could approach the breasts?

you can shift your body or put a pillow next to you to put your arm on so he can rest his head on the ohter side of your breast, or you can put him on at 45 or 90 or even 180 degrees! spend some time playing around wtih it. ultimately you and he will find positions that work best, and as he gets more mobile he will have more to say about what position you use than you do! just try stuff out for now and see what seems to work.

as far as not feeling empty ... is he gaining weight well? have at least 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours? it may just be that your supply is starting to regulate, so you won't keep feeling "full" and "empty" as much as in the first two months.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

As Suzanne Colson, who did the wonderful research on this positioning points out, "the breast is a circle." Baby can approach the breast literally from any direction as long as his body is not covering moms face. I have seen moms nurse over the shoulder, with baby straight across mom in either direction, in football hold, etc. all while mom is laid back. In your case since you like the 'classic" BN pose of baby coming up to the breast from below, you can change things up with just a shift one way or the other of babies bottom to slightly change the angle. Also you can adjust your rate of recline to relieve pressure.

Yes as long as baby is gaining and you are letting baby primarily set the frequency and length of feedings, don't worry to much about how the breast feels. Frequent heavy fullness or engorgement might indicate an issue at this age. Once a day or so of heavy fullness after a long sleep or long period between nursings is probably normal, and it would also be normal to not feel that anymore. (or ever, in come cases)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    as long as his body is not covering moms face.
    you should tell this to my son, whose favorite position is me lying on my back, with his butt squarely on my face, and his hands reaching down under his body to grapple my neck. i am not kidding.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.