Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just when things were going well

Default Just when things were going well

they aren't so much. After his little 10 day old growth spurt Im prett sure my OALD issue is way worse It is definitely starting to effect my little guy. Pretty sure it's made him adapt a shallow latch. He's fussy, gassy, refusing to nurse for more than a few minutes at a time. I am engorged, in pain, and VERY stressed! Both of us have been in tears most of the last 2 days! Seriously, JUST as things were getting manageable! why can't I just feed my baby? I'm trying so hard! Block-feeding, laid-back nursing, burping all the time....nothing seems to be working. I feel like its all making it worse! I really want to breastfeed this boy but I can't take watching him in pain and hungry yet not able to eat. It's breaking my heart. My back and neck are killing me from holding him so much. I don't know what else to do.

Default Re: Just when things were going well

Is he having sufficient diaper output? If diaper output is normal, then you have the fundamental puzzle pieces in place and you just need to work on the fine points.

Can you tell us exactly how he's behaving at the breast? And are you giving bottles or pacis at all?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

He pulls and yanks on my nipples, coughs, chokes, and gags several times. He screams, pushes away, and shakes his head frantically. He's been a great sleeper, now he seems restless all the time. No bottles or pacis at all! I've been trying to wait another week or two. I do have to go to work in a few weeks though! He is having great output. We are using about 15-20 diapers a day. All are wet, some VERY wet, most all have a little mustard, seedy poop, and he has about 4 BIG poops a day.

Okay, then you do have the basics down! That's wonderful. And I think you mad a great decision to stay away from bottles and pacis right now- you don't want to complicate an already complicated situation, right? I'd definitely wait at least 1-2 more weeks, preferably more like 2-3 more weeks, to start with the bottles (though I know you're going back to work so soon- was it 6 weeks?).

Tell us about your blocks- how long are they right now? It sounds like your LO is definitely struggling with fast flow and sometimes you can calm that down by extending your blocks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm switching sides every other feeding. Roughly every 4 hours. Yes back to work at 6 weeks.

Congrats on the new baby, I'm sorry things are so frustrating! It dosnt seem fair that something so natural should be so complicated! You mentioned you back and neck hurting from holding him, from nursing or from caring him? If its from caring him I suggest a good baby carrier! I personally like a moby wrap or a ring sling; I've never used a sleepy wrap but I've heard good things about them.

His diaper output sounds great so he's getting enough to eat. Do you feel like he comfort nurses a lot? If so you might consider a paci or your finger to suck on. I think they can be good tools if managed properly. You can always ditch it of it seems to be causing problems. I would agree with mommal to stay away from the bottle at this point! I had some OS and still have a really fast let down, DD gets mad and fights me when she wants to nurse but not necessarily eat, a paci helped a lot. My rule is always offer the breast first and offer the breast again before giving the paci back if they spit it out. Just something to thing about.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14 nursing like a champ and growing like a weed!

He doesn't really comfort nurse at all. I think he's scared to! I just need a break. We have some major family events coming up and I need to be able to go, not to mention being able to go to work. I tense up so bad when I go to nurse him it's started to hurt my neck, back, and shoulders. How long can it take to regulate? How do growth spurts effect you when you have this problem?

Have you tried nursing in a side-lying position? For me it helped with the OALD and also some of the neck pain. Heck, it still helps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rakoonz View Post
    Have you tried nursing in a side-lying position? For me it helped with the OALD and also some of the neck pain. Heck, it still helps.
    WSS All the way reclined in a recliner helped us too; DD had a hard time getting a deep latch side lying. For us it took about 4-5 weeks for the OS to go away. I would feed only one side at a time and then give the other at the next feeding. I think it's different for everyone though. I still have trouble with OALD. Hang in there Momma!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14 nursing like a champ and growing like a weed!

Just had a good session. I sat in the rocker doing an elevated football hold I guess. Still had some issues but not as many. He hates the side-lying position and gets mad when I lay all the way down. Now the other breast is way engorged. Not looking forward to our next session.