Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping volume continuing to drop, especially one side

Default Pumping volume continuing to drop, especially one side

Hi everyone! I got some great advice in the 3-12 month forum, but I'm still struggling with keeping my supply of what I pump up, so I'm looking for any advice.

My son is just over 5 months old. Exclusively breastfed. I started pumping to build a stash right away and have been regularly pumping since he was 4 weeks old.

I have a new Medela Pump in Style Advanced. I am gone for work for about 10.5 hours and my goal is to pump 14oz to leave for him each day. I was having no problems for awhile. When I noticed my supply start to drop, I started taking Fenugreek. That helped for awhile. About 2 weeks ago or so, I noticed that my right breast was producing less milk than my left. This trend has continued and my right breast produces between half to two-thirds compared to my left breast.

At first, I was very concerned about this under-producing right breast. Now, I'm just very concerned about not being able to pump enough to leave for my son the next day. It is stressing me out.

I am taking Fenugreek, eating enough protein, drinking enough water, and pumping 3 times a workday (about every 3 hours). I nurse on demand when not at work. I recently replaced my pump membranes.

Honestly, I feel like maybe my pump isn't working as well as it used to. I have to do a lot of massage and squeezing to get the milk to flow and I never had to do this before. But, I have no way of knowing whether my pump is less efficient or whether I'm not producing as much milk as I was. My period has not yet returned and I know those hormones can cause a drop in supply.

I am at my wits end. I feel like I have tried everything I know to try and haven't really gotten any results. I welcome any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Pumping volume continuing to drop, especially one side

It sounds like you have tried a lot, but there are a few things that it sounds like you haven't done: pumping more often, pumping after feedings when with your baby, trying a different size of breast shields, and using a better pump (the PISA is a very good pump, but you might want to try a hospital-grade rental if you really run into trouble).

Pumping more often should always be your first resort when trying to get more milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you.

I've been trying to add a pumping session before I go to bed, but I'm usually so tired that I don't always manage. Maybe I need to set an alarm on my phone and make myself do it. I know that removing more milk will make me make more milk. I guess I just struggle with fitting extra pumping sessions into my day and I just need to be more proactive about it.

Lately, I have only been leaving what milk I pumped for him the day before, even if it makes for small bottles for him. I had been supplementing with my freezer stash until I realized that I wasn't helping my supply that way. I'm hoping it makes him more hungry in the evening and night, so he nurses more.

I guess I just need to be more tough on myself about adding pumping sessions. Thanks!

I wish we had advice for you that wasn't "find more minutes in the day", mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. It's ok. I really don't mind, as long as I get results from increased pumping (which I'm sure I will). Breastfeeding is so incredibly important to me. I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to keep my supply up.

I guess it's time for me to find something I REALLY enjoy doing that I can do while pumping. That way I won't see the extra pumping session as a chore, but rather a nice escape and reward...

Are you using massage and breast compressions? I had to tinker with that for a while before I found what really worked for me and in the end it almost doubled my output. My breast compressions didn't look anything like the compressions you see in photos and videos. Only time and practice helped me find exactly what I needed to do to get my breasts completely empty.

I second mommal's suggestion about trying different horn sizes. My breast actually required two different sizes.

You are correct in that you have to find something to do while pumping to relax. Being stressed out or in a hurry can make pumping much less productive.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.