Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: back to work...lost when it comes to pumping!

Default back to work...lost when it comes to pumping!

So Saturday was my first day back to work and I just kind of played it by ear with pumping but I would like to try and get a routine going. I have been pumping after my ds morning feeding to build up a freezers stash. He is 10 weeks. He is no where near a schedule when it comes to feeding which makes it very difficult to know how much to pump. Here is what I did: I worked 530pm-230am (I bartend) I pumped while I was getting ready for work @ 4 & got 5 oz. Btw I use a PISA and always pump both sides @ the same time. I pumped at 730 got 5 oz and 11 and got 5oz. Ds had fed right before I got home so I pumped again at 3 and got another 5 oz. My mom said he drank 17 oz between 4pm and 3am. So here are my questions:
    1. When he eats I alternate sides every feeding. Does me pumping both sides at the same time effect what each breast produces? The reason I ask is because when he was with my mom he slept for FIVE HOURS after drinking about 7oz from a bottle. When bf he only goes 3hrs sometimes 4. Should I be trying to give him both sides instead of just one? He normally falls asleep feeding.
    2. Should I continue to pump after the morning feeding on my days off and/or add more pumping sessions?
    3. Is there a way that I can continue to build my freezers stash and have enough for feedings when I'm at work?
    4. My work schedule fluctuates. On Wednesday & Thursday I work 4pm-10pm and fridays I work 4pm-12am. Do I need to pump at the same time every day I work even though I'm not working at the same time? Do I need to pump at those times on my days off?

I know this is really long but I appreciate any feedback! I just don't want my milk supply to diminish. I'm trying to bf for 1year or more! Thanks momma's!!

Default Re: back to work...lost when it comes to pumping!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hanks.momma View Post
    So Saturday was my first day back to work and I just kind of played it by ear with pumping but I would like to try and get a routine going. I have been pumping after my ds morning feeding to build up a freezers stash. He is 10 weeks. He is no where near a schedule when it comes to feeding which makes it very difficult to know how much to pump. Here is what I did: I worked 530pm-230am (I bartend) I pumped while I was getting ready for work @ 4 & got 5 oz. Btw I use a PISA and always pump both sides @ the same time. I pumped at 730 got 5 oz and 11 and got 5oz. Ds had fed right before I got home so I pumped again at 3 and got another 5 oz. My mom said he drank 17 oz between 4pm and 3am. So here
    are my questions:
    1. When he eats I alternate sides every feeding. Does me pumping both sides at the same time effect what each breast produces? The reason I ask is because when he was with my mom he slept for FIVE HOURS after drinking about 7oz from a bottle. When bf he only goes 3hrs sometimes 4. Should I be trying to give him both sides instead of just one? He normally falls asleep feeding.

You should watch baby, eventually he will likely take both sides and you can offer both but at this age one side is fine. You do need to continue to pump both sides. 17 oz over 11 hours is average, the only thing is that it's at night so it may be a tad high
    but not exceedingly so. However 7 oz is a HUGE amount for a baby to drink at one time!! I can pretty much say that I have never heard of a BF baby of any age, even toddlers drinking that much in one sitting. My guess is that mom was over feeding and assumed because he kept swallowing that he was hungry. Not true because bottles will drip into their mouth and they have to swallow or they choke. Most babies at that age ( and most older babies too) drink 3 oz, maybe 4 oz at a time. My
    suggestion is for her to try 3 oz and rocking baby to sleep.

2. Should I continue to pump after the morning feeding on my days off and/or add more pumping sessions?

If you have an ok stash you can nurse only when you are with baby and make sure to pump every 3 hours or so at work. I noticed that you didn't really have a schedule, but to be successful pumping you have to keep a schedule in mind and stick with it.

3. Is there a way that I can continue to build my freezers stash and have enough for feedings when I'm at work?

You really shouldnt need a huge stash if you are pumping at work for each missed feed.

4. My work schedule fluctuates. On Wednesday & Thursday I work 4pm-10pm and fridays I work 4pm-12am. Do I need to pump at the same time every day I work even though I'm not working at the same time? Do I need to pump at those times on my
    days off?

No pump for missed feeds, or every 3 or so hours at this stage and nurse when you are with baby.

I know this is really long but I appreciate any feedback! I just don't want my milk supply to diminish. I'm trying to bf for 1year or more! Thanks momma's!!

My answers are in your text above
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; May 14th, 2012 at 10:52 AM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Mostly agree with PP, just want to add that if you pump at the same time when you work your body will get used to a demand at that time, which can help your output. Pumping both sides at once will also increase your supply/output, which seems like a good thing for you now.

Another bit of advice - if your mom knows you're getting home in an hour or a half hour, have her try to just give 1 oz so that you don't have to pump again at 3 am And to echo PP, 3 oz is the normal bottle size for a little baby (all the way up to a year, actually!). Give 3, try other soothing, then give 1-2 more oz if baby still is hungry. can't link now but there's an article on kellymom.com on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby - you might want to look at that and talk to your mom about it.

good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Here is the article the poster above mentioned. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    Mostly agree with PP, just want to add that if you pump at the same time when you work your body will get used to a demand at that time, which can help your output. Pumping both sides at once will also increase your supply/output, which seems like a good thing for you now.

Another bit of advice - if your mom knows you're getting home in an hour or a half hour, have her try to just give 1 oz so that you don't have to pump again at 3 am And to echo PP, 3 oz is the normal bottle size for a little baby (all the way up to a year, actually!). Give 3, try other soothing, then give 1-2 more oz if baby still is hungry. can't link now but there's an article on kellymom.com on bottlefeeding the breastfed baby - you might want to look at that and talk to your mom about it.

good luck!

right but I think her question was about pumping at the same time of day even when she's not at work due to scheduling changes; so my answer related to that...no if you are at home with baby and usually are at work at that time you should nurse and not worry about a pumping schedule
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hanks.momma View Post
    4. My work schedule fluctuates. On Wednesday & Thursday I work 4pm-10pm and fridays I work 4pm-12am. Do I need to pump at the same time every day I work even though I'm not working at the same time? Do I need to pump at those times on my days off?
    jenna, looks like you were answering the last question and i was answering the first one
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you so much for all your help!! I feel much better about pumping at work and pumping in general!

great let us know how it goes!
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language