Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Helsinki, Finland

Default Moving to Helsinki, Finland

My husband has just been offered a job in Helsinki. On one hand I am really pleased but on the other I will miss some things. One is my LLL group and the lovely friends I have made. I love the people and the organisation. I was just about to start my LLL leadership training as well.

I don't think LLL has set up in Finland. Am I wrong? Is there some LLL presence in Finland?

I am breastfeeding a 22 month old son and planning to carry on. Has anybody got any knowledge of attitudes? Is there any breastfeeding groups in Finland who support extended breastfeeding?

Is there anybody on LLL forum from Helsinki who could give me some advice and support?

I was just hoping that I might get some information to help me make this life long decision.

Thank you.

Default Re: Moving to Helsinki, Finland

I don't know specifically about Finland, but I think in Scandinavia breastfeeding is encouraged. We had a Swedish pediatric GI for DS2 who went on and on pretty much every visit about how normal breastfeeding is in Sweden and how he though it was great that I was still nursing my toddler. So, maybe the attitudes are similar across the border.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Breastfeeding is much more common in Scandinavia than in the US, and even than in other European countries, so I wouldn't worry about that. There might not be LLL, but I assume the situation is like my home country the Netherlands, with a very big national breastfeeding organization. It looks like this is the website of the Finnish organization, but I don't speak Finish...
    Mom to Wytse (10-15-2005), Marrit (05-14-2008) and Abel (04-11-2012)

Thank you so much for the positive and supportive posts.

We are just working out some tax issues and then we are going to make a final decision on Friday. So I will keep you posted.

I am so thankful that were ever I am I will have LLL in some form

Well, after searching through the database of Groups and Leaders, I am absolutely astounded how little presence LLL has in either Finland or Sweden. It looks like there is one active Leader in Stockholm... It might be worth getting in touch with her to get a general idea of what you can expect.

Could it be that breastfeeding is so accepted in Scandinavia that moms don't feel the need for support groups? Can you even imagine such a place?
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    Could it be that breastfeeding is so accepted in Scandinavia that moms don't feel the need for support groups? Can you even imagine such a place?
    I'm betting this is the case. I could be wrong, but just based on our Swedish pediatric GI, I think they might actually have DOCTORS who give nursing mothers the correct advice. Levi had issues that I know some other doctors would have recommended weaning (low iron, slow growth) but he told me how great he thought it was that I was still nursing my toddler.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Smile Re: Moving to Helsinki, Finland

Thank you for all your responses. I will get in contact with the leader in Stockholm. Brilliant idea. I am moving to Espoo a city nr Helsinki in 4 days time. Very soon.
    I was just checking if there is any new members from Finland who joined since the last post.
    I will try to get more involved in the forum because I love having contact with LLL members. I am the mother I am because of LLL.
    Kxxx

Good luck with the move.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Hi everybody,

Move went well. I am trying to be comfortable feeding in public in a new country. It will come because my toddler keeps pulling my top up so I will be forced. Been in contact with a few new mums who do attachment parenting.

Thanks for the kind messages.

I'm glad to hear your move went well. I just moved back to North America (Canada this time, Toronto) and miss Switzerland, where we lived the last year, like crazy . I noticed that back there NO ONE covered up while breastfeeding their babies (I didn't see toddlers though) in public, while here EVERYONE seems to do so.

First time, SAH mom to my precious daughter born October 2009
    Nursing 27 months and counting... I still love nursing so much and am SAD thinking the end can come anytime now...