Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant, 1st child, looking for the best pump

Default Re: Pregnant, 1st child, looking for the best pump

Its nice to hear success stories

I used the lansinoh double electric--which when I got it was supposedly the same as the ameda. Worked great for me and I work full time. It is about half the price of the medela pumps and I liked that it did not come with the bag--much more portable for travel. If I were getting a new pump now I would consider the Hygeia.
    Ali
    Mama to M, BF 17mo
    and H, born Feb '12

If your friend has never used hers, why not offer to buy it off her at a discount?

Hygeia, Medela, Ameda, Lansinoh are all good. I use a Limerick, which is a hospital grads pump that is 1.5 lbs, fits in a purse and costs half what any other hospital grade would.

If your friend never used hers at all, it could be a good deal, but used pumps are a big no. You don't know how much it's been used, and they are really only meant for about 400 hours (except for hospital grades, which do need an annual tune-up). I bought a used Limerick and had to replace the motherboard on it 4 months in, and cost me almost as much as buying a new one. I was given as used Freestyle, nd I wore it out in 6 months. I should have just bought new.

Books...I like So That's What They are For, but that might be out of print. Best bet...hang around here, read the threads, and get a feel for what the most common issues are and how to fix them. Be flexible...like don't say I will never cosleep
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Rather than buying more books, I would bookmark on your computer two sites: Kellymom and Infantrisk. The first has a lot of tricks and ideas regarding breastfeeding; it has some particularly good info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby, which your caregiver will need. The second is the site of Dr. Thomas Hale's group at Texas Tech. They are the go-to people when it comes to pregnancy/breastfeeding and medication. There is some info on the site; what is more useful is that it gives the telephone number of their call center. If you have some sort of medical problem, heaven forbid, after your baby is born, and you are told to pump and dump or to wean altogether, the Infantrisk people have the most recent research which often will be more pro breastfeeding.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

by the way, it's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (not Motherly) and it was the only book i took with me to the hospital - but a lot of the advice doubles wtih what you'll find on this forum. i'm the sort who wanted to have a resource to look things up, plus you never know about internet in the hospital. and it's only $13 on amazon!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If your friend never used hers at all, it could be a good deal, but used pumps are a big no. You don't know how much it's been used, and they are really only meant for about 400 hours (except for hospital grades, which do need an annual tune-up). I bought a used Limerick and had to replace the motherboard on it 4 months in, and cost me almost as much as buying a new one. I was given as used Freestyle, nd I wore it out in 6 months. I should have just bought new.
    This is true, Susan. I was only saying that because she said this.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hardworkingdodmama View Post
    Ive heard of medela before. My friend recommended that brand but she has never used hers.
    I completely agree, though. Both because of them wearing out and because of the milk getting into the tubes and motor.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    by the way, it's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (not Motherly)!
    Haha. True! That's what I get for dropping book titles off the top of my head.

I also prefer a book format, and I felt like I got a basic overview in all the things to look for that way. But everyone is different.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hardworkingdodmama View Post
    should I be looking for any other books besides "Motherly Art of Breastfeeding" ?
    My favorites, particularly for first-time moms are:
    The Breastfeeding Cafe by Barbara Behrmann
    Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
    The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin
    The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley
    The Baby Book by William and Martha Sears

They aren't all breastfeeding books, of course!

Books to avoid:
    The Baby Whisperer, Babywise, the What to Expect series. All rife with misinformation and apt to sabotage your breastfeeding success.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    This is true, Susan. I was only saying that because she said this.

I completely agree, though. Both because of them wearing out and because of the milk getting into the tubes and motor.
    Yep I caught it. But I said what I did in case someone offers her a "hardly used" pump. Hard to define hardly used Not used...it had better still be in the box or have zero signs of being washed or touched.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!