Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant, 1st child, looking for the best pump

Smile Pregnant, 1st child, looking for the best pump

I plan on breastfeeding of course but, my job is only giving me 12 weeks maternity leave. So I will have to pump when I go back to work. Any recommendations for a good breast pump? I'll take advice from all the pros out there

Happy Mothers Day Mama's!

Default Re: Pregnant, 1st child, looking for the best pump

Welcome and congrats on the baby to come! How many hours per day will you be working?

I like the Medela Pump in Style for moms who work full-time. And make sure you buy a new machine- used pumps are tempting because they are cheap, but pumps wear down and used machines tend not to give the best results. Many moms who buy used end up going back and spending additional money on a new pump anyway.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I work an 8 hour day usually and only a 15 minute commute. Ive heard of medela before. My friend recommended that brand but she has never used hers. LOL so I thought I would get on here and ask more mama's opinions.

I had a similar job (slightly longer hours) and a similar maternity leave, and I used the PIS with success. I think some other ladies here prefer the Ameda double pump (Susan?). You're smart to do your research ahead of time, because a lot of pumps are NOT appropriate for a working mom. You need a double sided electric pump for sure.

P.S. Congrats on your new baby!! You're also smart to get on this forum now! I wish I had found it when Joe was a newborn, but he was six months old (and I had already gotten through most of my breastfeeding issues on my own) when I discovered its existence. This is a wonderful resource. Don't be scared by the many posts asking for help - many breastfeeding problems are totally avoidable if you know what you're doing BEFORE you start, rather than trying to figure it out by trial and error. I highly recommend reading a book about breastfeeding (like the new edition of the Motherly Art of Breastfeeding) before you give birth. I did that much, and it really made a huge difference for me. And let us know if you have any questions!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I'll research those as well, thank you so much! I like to be informed and know my options, not so much a planner, although I do plan very well LOL I signed up for "The Bradley Classes" here in my area and they have breastfeeding classes as well. DOUBLE SCORE!

I'm glad you mentioned that about the posts, I'm not going to lie, I was a little scared. Its very overwhelming. I ask myself how something so natural could be so difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hardworkingdodmama View Post
    I'm glad you mentioned that about the posts, I'm not going to lie, I was a little scared. Its very overwhelming. I ask myself how something so natural could be so difficult?
    Breastfeeding can be a challenge in the beginning, but even if you have some issues, you can get through them, so don't get discouraged!! But it is important to note that a lot of the posts on here (definitely not all, but a lot) are dealing with issues that could have been prevented (like nipple confusion) or were made worse by bad advice (low supply caused by supplementation) or aren't really problems at all and are totally normal (baby wants to nurse all the time). That's why being informed in advance makes such a difference! P.S. I took a Bradley course, and it was great for childbirth, but I think the coverage of breastfeeding was a little minimal. I would still recommend reading up a bit. Of course, your class may be far more in-depth.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hardworkingdodmama View Post
    It's all about the nature of the forum. Women who have no trouble breastfeeding probably never bother looking up LLL. The women who come here- you're seeing the ones who did have issues.

One of the best kept secrets about breastfeeding is that just because it is natural doesn't mean it is also easy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have an Ameda Purely Yours and it has worked out fine for me (I only work 3 days per week, but I've been using it for 18 months - it does seem to be wearing down now, though).

Don't let potential issues freak you out! You are more informed that a lot of us were when we first found this place! And even if an odd issue arises, you know you have a virtual support system here. Congrats on the baby!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I used the Medela PISA and was pleased.

As to all of the problems, with DD she wouldn't latch for about 5 days as a newborn, but then got it and we went for about 15 months. With DS1, he nursed fine but I had pumping supply problems and ended up supplementing. I think if I had know about the forum then, I could have worked through it. With DS2, he latched at the start and ne'er a nursing problem, nada, none.

With all three I have never had a plugged duct, mastitis, thrush, a milk bleb, a nursing strike. I have never had anyone make any comment to me about nursing in public, although my in-laws were surprised the first time I nursed in front of them. I have never had a pediatrician suggest either supplementing or weaning. I say this not to brag, but to emphasize the fact that we don't post when things are going well. We come here to ask questions, help each other out, and, every so often, whine a bit. Feel free to do all three, and tell us about your successes as well. When you start pumping, go find the pumping chit-chat thread to share with others doing the same thing.

This thread has some more info on pumps.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

thanks ladies, you bring up good points

should I be looking for any other books besides "Motherly Art of Breastfeeding" ? or is one usually enough?