Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 days old and not sure what else to do...

Default Re: 5 days old and not sure what else to do...

Spoke With the LC and now i think that my milk is "in" but the supply is extremely low. I pump 30 mins after every feeding. Btwn feeding, pumping, cleaning and trying to ear or sleep myself, the cycle is brutal. I dont really have time to sleep and although I have a great support network with my husband and mom, this is not sustainable as he grows and wants more. I have to supplement every single time after the breast bc he's still hungry (which adds on additional time). I'm on fenugreek as well. Any other suggestions for increasing milk supply while maintaining sanity?

quick tip: don't wash your pump parts every time. just throw them all in the fridge and wash once a day. at least that'll save you a little time.

are you supplementing with pumped milk or wtih formula?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

OP, just wanted to let you know that it gets better pretty quickly. Due to DD being 5 weeks early the LC's had me pumping and supplementing her with EBM 8 times a day. Now at 3 weeks we are only pumping 4x a day and she's eating really well. It was exhausting and upsetting, but I had to keep reminding myself how little time had actually passed and how much progress we had made. A little thing that worked for me was to make a calendar and put it on the fridge. I wrote in all of the little events in her life (visitors, doctor & LC appointments, good and bad days) so that DH and I could get perspective when we went through tough moments (that it had only been a day since she was refusing the breast, not "forever").

Finally, I don't think anyone mentioned this, but remember that a drop in weight at the first appointment is expected. Unless the pediatrician was worried, I wouldn't let that worry you too much. My little one got as low as 4lb 13oz and was still doing just fine and a term baby has much more leeway to lose weight. The doctors expect babies to be back at birth weight by 2 weeks of age so you have time to regain.
    Nursing my DD born 4/2012 at 35 weeks

I hear your pain mama!! I've been going through a similar situation with my now 3 week year old. Hang in there!!

I talked to my OB office and they didn't seem too concerned about my thyroid, neither did the LC. I understand that weight loss is normal, but honestly, my led was concerned and she recommended supplementing. When I supplement, intupicslly give formula since I collect the EPM until i get to 2 oz. I only get about 4 oz total of EPM in a 24 hr pd. Thus, I think he gets around 60% breast milk and 40% formula. I know that pumping and behavior don't indicate if he's getting enough but every single time I feed from the breast, regardless of how long i try, he is always hungry afterwards. Also, if I just pump, I only can get about 1 oz, maybe 1 and a 1/4 oz from both combined. I'm now very afraid to go back to exclusive breast feeding bc I don't want to dehydrate him again nor do I want him to lose more weight. I am going to weigh him and talk to two LCs tomorrow.

Led in pp is supposed to be "ped."

My main concern now is supply.

They may not be concerned about your thyroid because they are unaware that thyroid problems are common postpartum, particularly in women who already have thyroid problems! Go in and demand a test. Also discuss the other things that can provide barriers to supply- retained placenta and PCOS spring to mind.

What sort of pump are you using right now? Whatever it is, bring it with you to the LCs and have them observe you use it. I think you want a hospital-grade pump with correctly sized shields.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

During my pregnancy, I was the only one advocating for myself, and demanding OBs order me some thyroid tests (I was on a waiting list for an endocrinologist... ). My OBs, too, were unconcerned: it's not their specialty. I eventually got in to see the endocrinologist, who said the tests they ordered weren't even all that relevant for what she needed to know, and ordered the right ones. If you can get in to an endocrinologist, that will be a lot more helpful for determining your thyroid function. Really. It's super important. Even if it's not what's affecting your milk supply, it will make you a better-feeling mama to be at the right dosage.

Things seem to be moving in the positive direction. I weighed him and talked with two LC's again. He gained 6 ounces in a week; so that's positive. Still 6 ounces shy of his birthweight, but at least he's not losing weight at this point. I definitely had a breakdown yesterday in front of my mom and husband because I was so exhuasted (which I also think affected my milk supply). So I cut back on the pumping to 4 times a day (vs. 8) and I do a "power hour" where I pump 10 mins on, 10 mins off during the evening. And last night I slept for a 6 hour stretch while my husband took care of him. Since 5am this morning, so far, so good. Out of the three times I've fed him, I only supplemented once and when I pumped, I was able to get 2 ounces (which is the most I've ever gotten). I am going to call my doctor on Monday though and still get my thyroid tested and look into why my left hand is going numb. Has anyone heard of numbness in the hand post pregnancy? Seems like if it's not one thing, it's another...but I feel rested, positive and hopeful that we can continue to move in the right direction. Rest is key (and I have to not feel bad for sleeping for a long 6 hour stint). Thanks all for the encouragement!