Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5 days old and not sure what else to do...

Default Re: 5 days old and not sure what else to do...

Numbness in the hand could be a pinched nerve...

Congrats on getting 2 oz, and keep up the ggod work!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

awesome! sounds liek things are moving in the right direction. good job and hang in there.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

All righty; we've been exclusively on breastmilk for 24 hours now (not entirely exclusive to breast, had to supplement with breastmilk a few times); pees are frequent, but he hasn't poo'd in over 24 hours. Should I be concerned or just wait it out? Poos before this were mustard, seedy and normal...but when do I get concerned about the lack of poo? Maybe I'm overly concerned, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Exclusively bf babies over 6 weeks can poop as frequently as several times a day, or as infrequently as almost every 2 weeks. As long as he doesn't seem constipated (grunting, pain), all is well. But babies who save it up (mine went every 5 days) have a BIG poop when they do, so be prepared!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

DS is only 12 days...hence the concern about lack of poo. My husband said he had one last night; but still, is one in 24 hours sufficient?

As long as baby is having sufficient pee diapers, no poo in 24 hours is okay. Just keep an eye on it, and call your pediatrician and ask how many days between poops is okay for a breastfed newborn. Some docs will want to check baby out after just a few poop-free days, others may wait for a week.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"