Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding pains

Default breastfeeding pains

Hi. My daughter will be 3 weeks on Monday. The first 2 weeks of breastfeeding were very problematic due to a latching problem on the one side that was eventually sorted out with chiro. I have finally gone a full weekwithout having to give her a bottle!

The problems have not stopped. Firstly, due to one breast being favoured for 2 weeks, I have one breast that's flowing in abundance, and one that needs some encouragement. I am continuing to feed on both in the hopes that I will eventually balance out.

The main problem though, is the pain. During feeding I experience a sharp, stabbing pain in my breast, thatmigrates into my back as she feeds. Then after she's done (sometimes up to an hour and a half later) my nipple starts to burn, like its on ice. The pain is in both breasts, but definately more apparent in the one that had the problems. There is no pain while feeding (except the latch)

I check her mouth for thrush regularly

I must add that while the pain is worth checking out, it is not too intense.

Default Re: breastfeeding pains

By the end of the feed, how do your nipples look? Round like a pencil eraser or flat/creased like a new lipstick? Are you seeing them turn white or purple? This may be of interest to you: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Regarding the lopsidedness, this may also be helpful:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/

Thanks! That does look fairly accurate. I don't think the latch is bad, as there is no discomfort in the nipple while feeding.

That makes sense though, I had been following the general reccomendation of allowing my nipples to getexposed to fresh air, as well as using lansinoh soothies, which apply "soothing" cold to the nipples. Needless to say it made the issue worse.

So I'll make an effort to keep them warm, and hope that as the damage to my nipple heals, the problem will go away

I noticed that once I fixed the latch issues, I had vasospasms for a while after (like a week or two), I don't know why, but they did go away on their own in time. Lots of people recommend wool nursing pads, that may be worth a shot. Good luck!

I am facing something quite similar ! Sharp pain in breasts just after feeding my 5 wk old. Rinsing in warm saline helps too.
    I hope that this will go away on its own