Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck?

Default What the heck?

Okay my little 9 day old has been nursing beautifully since minute 1. Yesterday, he started pulling back and sucking the nipple back in during feeding. It creates a more shallow latch, so I take him off and relatch. Any ideas on what he's doing and am I doing the right thing? It's usually more toward the end of the feeding. Also, we've had a couple of spit-ups and some more gas since trying side-lying at night.

Default Re: What the heck?

maybe he's just done?

for spitups, try putting a brick at the head of your bed to elevate it a couple inches.

you can also, at least once he's a bit older, pull him into a sitting up/forward postion and rest him against/across your belly at 90 degrees. my 11 month old has been sleeping like that for months. i'm not sure how well it would work/how safe it would be with a 9 day old - you may have to experiment.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My daughter went through a spell of this too. I think in our case it was from OALD and she was trying to cope with flow. Then she did it again when she hit growth spurts...i guess she was trying to bully more milk out lol. It seemed to help if I rocked and patted her back while eating. It is possible bc of the spit ups that you may be dealing with oald too
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

The spit-up happened once this morning and once overnight. He occasionally coughs and chokes when he first latches. Maybe once or twice a day. I feel like these have been times when he's crazy hungry. He also has a really strong suck. The nurses at the hospital were quite impressed! I do my best to watch for his cues, but he sleeps hard and goes from 0-FEED ME in no time.

This sounds like it could be OALD because of the choking and coughing. If the shift to a shallow latch is your only problem and relatching fixes that, then you are doing the right thing and just keep on with it. I had to nurse reclined, one breast at a time, for awhile, but my OALD was significant and causing other problems.

Some babies just spit up a lot and if there doesn't seem to be any pain with the spit ups then it isn't a problem. Mine spit up like crazy. I put a thick towel (or two) under the sheet to protect the mattress from spit up.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Sounds like OALD...we went through (still working on) the same thing with my almost-10-week-old. Side lying helped only a little. I had to switch to a reclined position with her across my chest/belly...Initially I had to be almost flat on my back so gravity would help tame the let down force. We've worked our way up and now I just recline a little or we can actually do side-lying now.

Laid-back breastfeeding might work great for this problem. It lets the baby be more in control of nursing. He can pop off more easily if he's done. Good for you stopping the latch instead of letting him nurse with the bad latch. Laid-back breastfeeding is great for OALD too.

Is it possible to have this on just one side? We only have this issue on the right breast. The left is no problem.

Def. posible to have oald on only one side. Or for it to ony affect babies nursing behavior on one side. OALD is nothing to worry too much about, except for it affecting your babies happiness at the breast. (if its really bad it sometimes causes gastrointestional distress as well.) Some babies handle fast flow fine, others object.
    Simple ideas for oald- Nurse frequently, nurse laid back or "uphill." If you feel or notice the milk letting down, take baby off, let the initial letdown go into a burp cloth and then let baby go back on. Since it is only on one side, you could experiment with starting on that side or ending on that side, see if one or the other makes a diffference. Remember you do not need to nurse on both sides every feeding, let baby "finish the first breast first" and follow babies lead for if they want to nurse more/switch sides or not.

more on oald: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

We are having a really hard time right now! He has been screaming non-stop for awhile. He will not take either side. Dad has taken over and is burping, rockin, and trying to help. I hand expressed after the last latch and it does shoot out. I cannot tell when let-down occurs. I'll try the laid-back position when he's calmed down some.