Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block pumping???

Default Block pumping???

Has anyone ever heard of this? I was using my APY and started to be able to pump 8 or more oz from one side, getting engorged long before next session and plugs that luckily always came out. This was in 15 min. I started getting 3-4oz but each day it got worse and worse. It was as if any stimulation not only let me express but make more. Finally i quite using the APY and went manual. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and i'm still getting 5oz in 15min from one side (which is fine for me) and not close to empty. I'm just so much more comfortable between sessions now I love using the manual pump.

Just now it takes 30 minutes to do both sides. I'm still getting plenty adding to stash most days (sometimes i get caught out before i can make it home to put up)

Is it possible to block pump WITH the manual? Is this ok sounding? I just worry about screwing up my supply even though my boobs seem to take ESP orders. I swear I could nurse trips or quads if i had to.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Default Re: Block pumping???

I only had a manual for like 5 years. I got a double electric when I was asked by a local mom with IGT to pump extra for her baby. So, yes, I think it's possible to pump enough -- if you are OK with spending the time at it and respond well enough to a manual -- with a manual pump. Most working moms can't spend the 30 minutes every couple of hours, and need to cut thst to 15-20 minutes, so they need a double electric to pump both sides at once. Most mkms also don't respond quite as well to a manual pump, so a double electric may work better for most, but it's worth a shot.

I'm not sure what you mean by block pumping though, unless it's the schedule that most pumping mom fall into.

Don't be shocked if you can't pump that much forever though
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was thinking about the block pumping like block feeding which I do at home. Since I can get 5 or more oz per side and DS is only taking 3 sometimes 4oz per feeding only pumping one side every 2-3 hrs. One of the reasons I even bring it up is that DS has been constantly having green slimy poo. He used to have some yellow seedy and green seedy poos but I haven't seen those in a while. I'm trying to figure out if its the over supply or a food sensitivity. I'm cutting out dairy as of today but know that will take time to see the results. I'm not really worried; he is happy and healthy gaining and plenty of wet and dirty diapers. I just like to know for future reference. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes but i feel better knowing I'm just different like I typically am
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Currently and !!!

What if you just stopped pumping after 3-4 oz?

Honestly, I'd bet the green poops are a consequence of oversupply, since it sounds like you do have an oversupply issue.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Try mixing your bottles after a whole day, as this helps balance the fats, and if you naturally have an OS, this is quite helpful when bottlefeeding
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well DS started having 'normal' BFed poop the day after I posted this after weeks of the green slimy stuff and I had a ton of cheese so it isn't a dairy sensitivity. As usual when I finally think I need to ask a question it clears up. I wait so long too so as not to freak out about things. Anyways, I have been sorta mixing the bottles but I'll put them in one big one then divide instead of the way I was doing it. I was just worried about stopping after 4 oz and causing too far a dip in production. Crazy I know with OS but I feel like I didn't work this damn hard to BF to have pumping screw it up. Thanks ladies!

Currently and !!!

I used to be able to pump 10 ounces at a time for several months, but my supply evened out after about 6 months, and I started getting 3-4 ounces at a time without much intervention. I woudn't worry about stopping at 4 ounces. You can always start pumping for longer times again if you see too big a dip in output. For me, milk supply regulating was pretty gradual.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

When I was pumping for a stash in addition to nursing, I usually only pumped one side at a time, which was better since I also had crazy oversupply, and I learned that double pumping in addition to nursing will ratchet oversupply into the triplets/quads/whole football team zone really quickly! I also think that using a manual pump to build a stash at home when you're already nursing could be a really good idea for a mom with oversupply, because the manual is not as stimulating as an electric pump, so it should aggravate oversupply a little less than an electric pump.

But once I was actually back at work, there was no way I was going to pump one side at a time, or use a manual pump. I just didn't have the time! So I mimicked block feeding (which I was doing at home) when I pumped at work (I always did both sides at once) by pumping a little less frequently than is usually recommended, but for a longer period of time, to fully empty both breasts. Then I mixed the bottles as Susan said. So I pumped every 3-4 hours, but for 30 minutes. Both sides.

When I first started this program, I was wondering if I should pump only one side every 2 hours which would mimic my feeding at home the best, but it turned out that pumping both sides every 3-4 hours did the same thing, and saved me a TON of time. I often made 10 oz during my morning pump, but my afternoon pump would be half that. (I had crazy morning supply. )

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.