Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged duct problems

Default Plugged duct problems

The other night I got a rash under my left breast. I went to a retail clinic who said it was yeast and who told me to use an antifungal, which I am using. The next night (last night) on the same breast I was getting a lot of soreness in the underside of the breast (in an area different from the rash) that got worse as the night went on. The pain was really bad.

At first I was afraid the yeast had spread, then I noticed I was badly engorged in that area, even though I had just pumped. I pumped again and finally got the breast emptied, but this morning it is still sore. Not as sore as it was when I was engorged there, but almost like there is a bad bruise there.

I plan on nursing and pumping on that side a lot today. Should I be concerned about this soreness?

Default Re: Plugged duct problems

That happened to me even after my plugged ducts would release. They would stay sore for another day or so, feeling just like a bruise. Keep an eye on it though and yes, nurse and/or pump that side frequently to empty it well today because the soreness could also be from another plug still in the area.
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb

Yes, you should be a little concerned about the soreness. Based on what you describe, I am thinking that you had a bad plugged duct in that area, and that it may have been on the verge of turning into mastitis. Plugged ducts can cause soreness without it being mastitis, but when the pain is very bad and persists after the duct empties, it suggests that there may have been something more severe going on than just a simple plugged duct. But that's a maybe, not a definite!

So, what should you do? First, make sure that breast gets emptied thoroughly. If the plug seems to be returning, use massage, heat, warm water soaks, the baby, and the pump to get it out. Second, avoid bras, particularly underwire bras, for a bit, since they often cause plugs. Third, don't skip nursing or pumping sessions.

Don't stress about this. It sounds like you handled the situation and there's nothing to be worried about at this point. Just keep an eye on things.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks everyone for your help. The bruised feeling is finally almost gone thank goodness. I am having pretty bad supply issues on that side, though. I pump and use a lact-aid. Since this incident I've only pumped about a half ounce at a time on this side (down from 2-3 oz). I've read this is normal? I've been pumping more and began eating and drinking more milk stimulating things.

Any idea on how long this will last? I have milk stashed in the freezer, but I hate not giving him the freshest stuff.

After an incident of bad plugs or mastitis, it is normal to experience decreased supply on that side. Bsically what happened is that the breast gets overfull, and therefore reduces supply. Best way to bring your supply back up is to remove as much milk as possible as often as possible by nursing on demand or pumping more often.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"