Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Breastfeeding with food intolerances

Default Help! Breastfeeding with food intolerances

I have a 3 month old that has sensitivities to dairy, soy, beef , pork, wheat and corn...we think. I have been on an elimination diet for about 6 weeks now. He was having blood and mucous in his stools. After I stopped the blood went away but as of 2 weeks ago it returned. There is no mucous just a small amount of blood and not in every diaper. I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this. Im not sure if I can eliminate anything else in my diet and still get the nutrition I need to keep up my supply. I refuse to switch to formula and want to continue breastfeeding. Any advise would be helpful.

Default Re: Help! Breastfeeding with food intolerances

can you tell us more about how you decided it was sensitivities?

and do you think you might have any oversupply? does baby ever arch away from the breast, choke or sputter, clamp down with gums on your nipple?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Did you eliminate all of those at once? Have you tried reintroducing? I eliminated one at a time until my son was better. Is it possible something snuck in? I know it took awhile for me to figure all labels, especially in breads and cereals.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

We took him to the ped at 6 weeks because he had hives all over his face, head and neck. He was also having mucousy diapers with blood. The ped suggested to remove dairy. I did that and the hives cleared up but he was still having blood. I did some research and it said that if they are sensitive to dairy they have a good chance of being sensitive to soy too. It has been basically trial and error since then. I eat something and wait to see if he reacts to it. I tried reintroducing soy and the blood started again. That has been over a month and he is still having bloody diapers, not much but its still not normal.
    Its not oversupply because he feeds well. He latches and stays on unless he gets distracted by something.

It hasnt been all at once. I tried reintroducing soy and he reacted. I just want to get to a baseline of normal poos before I try again. I have the list of all the hidden dairy and soy and corn items. I am eating only whole foods and making things from scratch right now. Im not eating any breads and only rice cereal. It a mystery to me why he is still reacting.

It is so frustrating, I know. Have you seen any improvement in the past 4 weeks? I might wait another 2 weeks to be at the 6 week mark and then see if there is any improvement.

It has been on and off. Sometimes he can go a few days without blood and sometimes its once or twice a day. I hate to think that Im hurting him because of what Im eating. Im not going to give up because I know that breastfeeding is the best thing regardless it just hard to know what to do.

I know it is. I'm hoping that one of the more experienced mamas will pop in. You might think about scrolling through the allergy section of this forum. There might be some helpful posts in there. Are you keeping a detailed food diary? I know that was suggested to me. Note each and every bloody diaper in it as well. Does he spit up a lot? Seem cranky? Are there any other symptoms?

How much blood are we talking about? Specks and/or streaks, or more than that?

I know bloody poops can freak you right out, but if baby is growing normally they are generally nothing to be too concerned over. I nursed my second kid through several months of intermittent bloody poops, never did any dietary eliminations, and she is now an extremely healthy, tall, verbal 2 year-old who hasn't had a bloody poop since around 6 months of age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

If baby is gaining well and isn't uncomfortable I wouldn't worry too much about small amounts of blood here and there. If it goes back to mucousy, very bloody diapers and/or hives then I would be concerned. It's tough to do the elimination diet, but once you are used to knowing what you can and can't eat it gets a little easier at least as far as shopping and choosing what to eat goes.

The corn is a really tough one to eliminate because it is in everything. Have you researched corn derivatives so you know what to look for on labels?

Are you taking any kind of vitamins? If so have you checked the labels to make sure they don't contain any of the things you feel are causing issues?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous