Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage Questions

Default Re: Storage Questions

I will look into donation... I did actually cut back on my pumping. I'm pumping every 4 hours right now and had cut it back to every 6. My body adjusted perfectly. But it seemed as if DD was consuming all the milk. I got to where I was freezing none and had no bottles in the fridge for back up. I started to worry that I wasn't making enough, so I upped my sessions back up to every 4 hours and now I have too much milk again. Maybe I might be ready to skip my middle-of-the-night pumping... That would eliminate 7-8 ounces out of the day... Hmmm. Thanks everyone!

No, at some point, you don't need bottles in the fridge as back up. Thaw milk if she has a growth spurt. Or you will be like me, 9000 oz in the freezer. I had a plan for it all...I donated half to a mom with IGT. I'm now using it, as I want my LO to have 2 years of BM, but there is no way I want to pump 4-6 times a day for 2 years I have things to do.

I wish you had breastfed See all the complications. The extra expense of buying a freezer. The space that sucker will take up. Not an issue with direct breastfeeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Um, believe me, I didn't pick EPing over BFing. I wasn't able to.

Thank you for all the great advice everyone, I appreciate it.

If you haven't, see an IBCLC about latching baby. I went back and looked at your old posts. I think you could nurse
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    If you haven't, see an IBCLC about latching baby. I went back and looked at your old posts. I think you could nurse
    It may not be too late.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*baron View Post
    Hello! I have a few questions...

1. Can I combine freshly pumped milk with milk that is already in the fridge? Sometimes I pump an ounce or so more than my baby will drink. I hate to waste it, so I thought it might be a good idea to keep a bottle in the fridge and keep adding to it till it is a full bottle for her. Keeping the expiration times in mind, would this be okay?

2. If it is okay, do I need to chill the freshly pumped milk before adding it? Or can I just add it directly to the chilled milk?

3. I leave my milk out at room temp to avoid having to rewarm it. I have seen so many answers as to how long breast milk can stay out at room temp, so I just picked 6 hours. My baby did not drink the second bottle I had sitting out waiting for her and I've already done my next pumping session. So I now have 2 fresh bottles and 1 bottle that is 6 hours old. Must I now dump the 6 hour old milk or can I stick it in the fridge and continue saving it?

Thank you!
    I'm late to this party since I only actually registered last week but I wanted to say in answer to your question #2, when I took a breastfeeding class from an IBCLC, she said that the guideline with adding milk to milk is "add cold to cold." So you should in fact chill the freshly pumped milk before adding it to the chilled milk. (I assume the issue is to prevent bacteria growth like with any food. Otherwise you keep heating up the chilled milk to room temp and forcing the fridge to cool it down again.)