Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Questions

Default Storage Questions

Hello! I have a few questions...

1. Can I combine freshly pumped milk with milk that is already in the fridge? Sometimes I pump an ounce or so more than my baby will drink. I hate to waste it, so I thought it might be a good idea to keep a bottle in the fridge and keep adding to it till it is a full bottle for her. Keeping the expiration times in mind, would this be okay?

2. If it is okay, do I need to chill the freshly pumped milk before adding it? Or can I just add it directly to the chilled milk?

3. I leave my milk out at room temp to avoid having to rewarm it. I have seen so many answers as to how long breast milk can stay out at room temp, so I just picked 6 hours. My baby did not drink the second bottle I had sitting out waiting for her and I've already done my next pumping session. So I now have 2 fresh bottles and 1 bottle that is 6 hours old. Must I now dump the 6 hour old milk or can I stick it in the fridge and continue saving it?

Thank you!

Default Re: Storage Questions

I finally made sense of all the different milk storage guidelines when I read somewhere that milk is food. So handle with sensible food handling practices. Which means that people will vary in their tolerances - I'll eat vegetarian food that was left out all night; someone else might not.

But that being said:
    1. Yes, it's ok to add. Expiration date is the oldest milk in the mix.
    2. I never did.
    3. Put it in the fridge, use it first.

ETA: when breastmilk goes sour, it's really obvious. Generally it's safe to use until that point!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

If you can, nurse. Then you don't have to worry about this.

I would feed the oldest bottle first.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I also had a storage question and didn't want to start a new thread (and clutter the forums).

Do you guys only store the formula in baby bottles/milk storage bags? My MIL started storing my excess breastmilk in a small Aquafina water bottle and freezing it. Just like a big can of ready-made formula, she figured she can easily thaw a entire bottle of breastmilk and use it to feed the baby within 48 hours (after thawing and leaving it in refrigerator). I figured, since it is a clean bottle, it should be alright? I read somewhere that frozen breastmilk is good for 6 months and it sure beats buying a ton of 4oz baby bottles that will take up all my free space...
    Proud of Baby

Frozen milk needs to be used within 24 hours, not 48.

I use freezer bags for breastmilk because they thaw faster when frozen flat. I freeze them flat and they aren't too bad. This is how I had about 9000 oz in my deep freeze. I dnt store in bottles because they take up too much room.

I would have two issues with the plastic water bottles. I don't know their BPA status, if they have been drunk from, they aren't clean. Bottled water isn't sterile either, so bacteria could be growing in my milk. And it might take a while to thaw. So I would not be letting MIL do this myself, and I'm pretty flexible.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh! I didn't know water bottles weren't sterile - that issue didn't even hit me. Here I was, more worried about space consumption Hmm...sounds like I need to invest in some bags then!
    Proud of Baby

yup, plus, my frozen milk would never re-heat without spoiling, so i think you're best off getting bags. they store extremely compactly if you freeze flat and then store in stacks. google for the "gift bag storage" where she cuts a little slit in the bottom of a gift bag, lays flat, and then that helps rotate the milk too - you lay one bag on top, take one out the bottom.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks for the replies on my questions. I have some more additonal questions and thought I'd just add to this thread as well!

I've got a great freezer stash going. But my freezer is part of the side-by-side fridge. I don't have a deep freezer. So I have quickly been running out of room for all the milk I am storing. I tried to get DH to agree to get a small deep freeze especially for my milk, but we just won't be able to. I don't know how many oz of milk I have frozen, but I've got enough that I'm starting to wonder what I'm going to do with it all. I have to leave room in the freezer for food for our family!

So... I was trying to come up with a rotation system to do every now and then to clear out some room. I was thinking of picking a couple days every month and thaw out enough milk for my baby for an entire day and feed it to her within the 24 hour limit. That should make room in the freezer for more, fresh milk. But then I'd still have to be freezing the fresh milk I am pumping! It almost seems pointless! I make almost twice as much as DD needs per pumping session right now. So if she eats about 24-28 oz of milk a day, I am producing about 42 ounces a day. So even if I thaw out the 24-28 ounces to "make room" in the freezer, I'd be adding another 42 ounces back in! I'm at a loss as to what I should do! I really don't want to throw away any milk. I worked hard for all that milk in there and hate to see any of it go to waste. I know that as DD grows her appetite will grow, too. But I need a way to make room now as room is quickly running out! Any suggestions?

Are you EPing? If so, you might want to consider a separate freezer.

If not, I would donate some of the extra milk and stop pumping to such an excess.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

i agree with PP - you can get deep freezers for around $200 and that's WAY cheaper than formula, if you're EPing. otherwise, donate. i had good luck donating through human milk for human babies (hm4hb), and eats on feet is also great - you can find local groups on facebook. if you don't mind continuing to pump at that rate, there will be someone very grateful for the extra milk you pump; otherwise, cut back on your pumping and enjoy your baby more
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13