Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medication and breastfeeding

Unhappy Medication and breastfeeding

Micah just turned one year on the 12th of May. I have been dealing with a possible UTI for about a month now. There have given me omnicef twice and it is not working. They want me to take ciprofloxacin now which is really bad for breastfeeding. I don't know what to do. Micah breastfeeds a lot throughout the day especially if we are home, really if we are out and busy he won't ask for it much. We still breastfeed at night before bed and he still wakes up to nurse about 3 times a night.

I say a possible UTI because I only have a few symptoms and blood and something else in my urine. They are just guessing it is a UTI. I go back to the doctor next week and haven't yet picked up my prescriptions.

anyone else deal with anythign like this and have any input? I want to be healthy and get better but can't bear the thought of telling my son "no" when he asks for milkies.

Jenn

Default Re: Medication and breastfeeding

Before making any decisions about medication, I'd call Infant Risk: http://www.infantrisk.com/

And maybe get a second opinion about the UTI? You don't want to go through the rigamarole with the antibiotics if they are not an appropriate treatment.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Call infantrisk. They'll give you advice based on your specific situation. They're very pro-breastfeeding, and they'll help you make the right decision for your family.

Hi mama,

According to Medications and Mother's Milk, ciprofloxacin is a L3 and states the following:
    If used in lactating mothers, observe the infant closely for GI symptoms such as diarrhea. Current studies seem to suggest that the amount of ciprofloxacin present in milk is quite low. Ciprofloxacin was recently approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding women and it is becoming increasingly popular for use in pediatric patients.
    A possible alternative would be Ofloxacin, a L2.

The studies referenced by Hale are on much younger infants. Potential side effects of some medications are less cause for worry once babies get older. How about calling Hale's Infant Risk Center (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time at (806)-352-2519) and speaking them about your specific case? They are wonderful, helpful people.

Good luck and feel better soon, mama!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

SURPRISE!!! We caught the first PP egg and are currently baking baby BOY #4! Due to arrive late-Jan/early-Feb