Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing 7 1/2 mo old and going to work part time

Default Nursing 7 1/2 mo old and going to work part time

Hello Ladies,

I need some advice. I currently stay home with ds1 and EBF him on demand. When I've pumped in the past I usually only get 1 or 2 oz per 20 min session so I just don't pump often. The one time I did pump enough so my husband and I could go to dinner and leave ds1 with my parents he wouldn't take the bottle for them. Again because I am home with him I've never had to give it to him so I just don't. We have started BLW and he is doing great, He will will eat solids 3 times a day and still nurse very often, he usually has 2 night nursing sessions as well.

I am going to start working part time on Saturday Evenings and Sundays Mornings for about 5-6 hours each day. I will have to start pumping alot to be able to leave milk for him. My questions is what happens if I am gone and he just won't take it? How should approach this? How much milk should I leave for a feeding? Is he too young to drink it from a sippy cup? I think the evenings will be the hardest because we nurse to sleep most of the time.

I am really nervous about the whole scenario so I appreciate any suggestions.

Thank You,

Amy

Default Re: Nursing 7 1/2 mo old and going to work part time

I definitely recommend a sippy cup. Both of mine would only take the Nuby soft nipple cups. I would probably leave about 4-6 ounces just to be safe. But have whoever is watching him to only try 2 ounces at a time. Honestly, at that age I wouldn't stress too much if he won't eat during those couple of hours. If it was every single day I might. But eventually they get hungry enough.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

hi mama,

pumping 1-2 oz in 20 mins is actually not far from normal, especially if you're full-time breast feeding in addition.

i agree with PP on everything. except the normal advice is 1-1.5 oz per hour away, so i would probably have 6-9 oz available. but it well may be that baby will wait for you to get home, especially since it'll only be twice a week.

you will probably need to pump once in the middle of your work, assuming you nurse before and after. there's a whole forum for that if you want advice!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

My son rejected bottles and went to a sippy cup when he went to daycare around 8-9 months. He was pretty indiscriminate about cup types, but he liked the Nuby soft spout too (among others).

Don't sweat it if your baby doesn't take a full 1-1.5 ounces per hour while he is away from you. For such a short time, just two days a week he will do fine if he wants a little less. We had to work up to 1 ounce per hour, and it took several weeks to get there. Some babies never take quite that much and do fine as long as they can nurse as much as they want while with mom. You can have that much available if you choose, but I probably wouldn't thaw it all if your milk is frozen in case he doesn't drink it all (and it sounds like he might not).

I think feeding just 2 ounces at a time to start is a really good idea.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

agree!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

We have a 7 month old and I work 2 days/week and am gone for 5 hours each day. Our daughter never took a bottle. We actually taught her to drink from an open cup, but she still didn't drink much while I was gone. We made up for it over night usually or the next day. It hasn't been too difficult. we also do BLW and now that she is eating more, it's even easier. We just give her lots of juicy fruits and sips of water from an open cup and she makes it fine. Good luck.

My advice is: Wait and see what happens, and then work from there.

Some babies refuse the bottle at first but then warm up to it. There are many options, so many types of bottles, sippy cups, straw cups-- hopefully the care provider will be happy to experiment with those!

baby may also opt to primarily nap while you are gone, i've seen that too:-)