Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 months old and won't nurse when the sun is up :-)

Default 10 months old and won't nurse when the sun is up :-)

Any creative ideas? It's been progressing in this direction for weeks/months but this past weekend my 10-month old son was basically REFUSING to nurse during the daytime (other than before one of his naps). I was leaking, having to pump, etc.

Then at nighttime he wants to nurse Alllll Night Long. And I get up and go to work after that.

He is showing a similar daytime pattern even on the days I am at work. My husband (caregiver) says the baby is eating less and less as time goes on, and I am finding wasted unfinished milk bottles at the end of the day the past 2 weeks. The horror.

Any ideas?

When I am home (3 days a week) I do try to offer nursings in private, no music or distractions, lights dimmed, etc - but baby cries when I try to get his head near the breast.
    But when the sun goes down... he is happy to nurse HOURLY all night.

I had been plotting to night-wean but now he is 95% reverse cycling!
    I dont have the ENERGY to deal with this... Help?

Default Re: 10 months old and won't nurse when the sun is up :-)

P.S. I am not TOO panicked about his lack of eating because he is a big fella:-)
    But I want to support a health nursing relationship and it seems too soon for it to go away.... do some babies naturally wean before 1 year? He does love solids, any time of day!

doesn't sound like he's weaning at all - just wanting to nurse at the "wrong" time of day! i'm sure others wll have better advice, for me i can just say - everything changes ...
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks! i am TRYING to go with the flow but I am SO EXHAUSTED it's ridiculous. And exhaustion leads to so many other issues...

are there things you might change about your nighttime stuatino so that you get some more rest? if you tell us what it is, maybe we can help you tweak it?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi Auderey thanks.

Currently the nighttime situation is that Baby goes to sleep about 9pm, in my bed, and proceeds to wake up with crying, approximately hourly but sometimes more/less. When he cries, I pull him over to me, lift my shirt, nurse until he is asleep and then I push him back to the middle of the bed until the next feeding. He is also getting more mobile so this is morphing ,he breaks out of swaddle and crawls on top of my face crying...

Feel helpless about it right now! I'd be trying some time in the crib, but the crib is in my 4- year old's room and I'm so scared of having HIM woken up too!

have you tried sidelying nursing? i found that to be a lifesaver as i could latch DS on and fall back asleep. then when he does start to whimper/about to wake up, i can put a boob back in his mouth before he fully wakes up and we both go back to sleep again.

i found this site a useful tutorial: http://mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm

i'm so surprised he's still swaddled; mine put at end to that in the first week! does he like it? what would happen if you took him out?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I'm home nearly full time with my LO, and she's gone through stages where she seemed to nurse more frequently at night versus during the day, relatively speaking. I'd imagine the reverse cycling would be amplified if I was working full time outside of the home, like what you're describing. Also what works for me, in addition to nursing sidelying, like Auderey mentioned, is not looking at the clock AT ALL. I slept a ton better once I stopped looking at the clock.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

to both the cycles and the clock.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

I agree, the reverse cycling makes sense to be because (a) he is very alert/aware/exploring/distracted during the day and (b) 4 days a week I am away at work in the daytime
    However I am EXHAUSTED and battle PPD so I really want *my* sleep to improve.

That is great advice about the clock!! I noticed that a few months ago and it helped a LOT to stop looking a the clock, and just try to go with the flow in and out of sleep!

DO you ladies side-lay-nurse and fall asleep? I am afraid if I do that, i'll end up smothering his face and suffiocating him, so I stay awake and then push him away when he is done.