Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Domperidone side effects

Default Domperidone side effects

i started using domperidone 4 days ago, yesterday switched to taking 3 tabs 3 times per day. Since then I've had hardly any milk increase but also noticed I get very tired in the afternoons. Is this related to the domperidone? It's like being on reglan?

Default Re: Domperidone side effects

Quote Originally Posted by AlexaJake
    i started using domperidone 4 days ago, yesterday switched to taking 3 tabs 3 times per day. Since then I've had hardly any milk increase but also noticed I get very tired in the afternoons. Is this related to the domperidone? It's like being on reglan?
    Hi Alexa
    Domperidone usually increases milk production, but only if you are also nursing/pumping as well.
    It would help to know a little more about your situation. Would you mind answering a few questions?
    How old is your baby?
    What made you wonder if you were producing enough milk in the first place?
    At that point, how many times a day were you nursing? pumping?
    When did you start using the drug?

Thank you,
    LLLnormaR

No, it's not at all like Reglan. I can't comment on why you show no increase in milk since I don't have all the information. However, I can tell you that Domperidone does not pass the blood-brain barrier. Therefore, it does not cause the tiredness, fatigue, depression, and many other side effects that often come with Reglan. Domperidone has also proved extremely effective and extremely safe for long term use.

How long have you been taking Domperidone? What was your initial dose? Could you be pregnant? Could your baby be going through a growth spurt? Are you nursing/pumping frequently? What made you believe that you have low milk supply?

Without the answers to these questions, it will be difficult to give you any really specific information on your supply.

my twins are 8 weeks old and never latched. neither did dd. I have flat nipples and have always had problems with that so I've always pumped. I had a breast reduction and that's the supply issue. But I've been taking domperidone 1 week tomorrow Got MUCH more milk(3-4 oz vs 1.5-2) on reglan. I don't understand why I'm so tired since I've started taking it then. And I'm taking 3 tabs 3 times per day. No chance of pg.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexaJake
    my twins are 8 weeks old and never latched. neither did dd. I have flat nipples and have always had problems with that so I've always pumped. I had a breast reduction and that's the supply issue. But I've been taking domperidone 1 week tomorrow Got MUCH more milk(3-4 oz vs 1.5-2) on reglan. I don't understand why I'm so tired since I've started taking it then. And I'm taking 3 tabs 3 times per day. No chance of pg.
    Hi Alexa
    There is a lot of information and support available for mothers who have had breast reduction surgery at: http://www.bfar.org/
    This is not an LLL website, but many mothers have found the information there to be helpful. I quote:
    >This site is a compilation of information about breastfeeding after breast reduction surgery, providing an online resource to BFAR women, professional caregivers to BFAR mothers, and friends and family of BFAR mothers. <
    You can find information about domperidone there, at: http://www.bfar.org/domperidone.shtml

LLLnormaR