Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work?

Default Pumping at work?

We've been practicing giving my baby pumped milk from a bottle for 2 weeks now, andhe usually only takes about 1.5-2 ounces at a feeding. I'm back to work for the first time today, and just got finished pumping. I pumped about 8.5 ounces, and it's the first time I pumped today. (I pumped once a day 3-4 times a week before coming back to work to get a freezer supply, and this usually produced about 6 ounces). How many more times should I pump today? It seems like I'm producing much more than he typically eats in a feeding, but should I still try to pump every few hours? At this rate, I will probably have to pour some of it down the drain if I do that bc my cooler only has 4 5-oz bottles in it. Any advice appreciated!

Default Re: Pumping at work?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ASchindler View Post
    How many more times should I pump today? It seems like I'm producing much more than he typically eats in a feeding, but should I still try to pump every few hours? At this rate, I will probably have to pour some of it down the drain if I do that bc my cooler only has 4 5-oz bottles in it. Any advice appreciated!

YES, no matter what continue to pump once every few hours (for me it was 3), your supply will level out and if you reduce pumping now you tell your body to stop producing for that feeding. your better off losing a little pumped milk down the drain today than trying to bring your supply back up next week. tomorrow bring in more bottles and use this opportunity to back fill your freezer stash for the future, you may get AF back, or get sick, unexpected needs always arise and most moms notice a dip right after retuning to work.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks so much for the tip- I'm about to pump again now. I am only working one day a week for now, so I'm not too worried about supply issues, but I might as well pump every three hours- I have an office with a locking door and understanding supervisors (a HUGE blessing, I know).

If you can't use it, look into donation.
    You can also use breastmilk to make baby food, bake for baby or whatever else you might use milk for.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!