Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dental work and BFing

Default Dental work and BFing

This is partly a vent too. We went on vacation this week, and yesterday, the last day of our vacation, I bit down on a piece of beef jerky and friggin' cracked my tooth! Like, a whole cuspid cracked off, and there's apparently a couple other cracks in it too. So the dentist wants to put a crown on it. He said it's not that involved of a procedure, just a local anesthetic. That's kosher with BFing, right? Didn't bother asking him, cause I figured there's gotta be someone here that's been in a similar situation, right? Just wanted to make sure.. Thankfully it's one of my molars and not one of my front teeth or anything, since they can't get me in the repair it until closer to the end of the month. Grrr...

Default Re: Dental work and BFing

Local anesthesia like novocaine, lidocaine, etc., is fine while breastfeeding. No problem. http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...ry/dentalwork/

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Sorry about the tooth! That sounds terrible.

A local anesthetic should be fine. You can call infantrisk if you want to be extra cautious, but locals don't enter the bloodstream, so I can't imagine how it could be a problem.

ETA: As confirmed above!

thanks!

I had a root canal while pregnant and breastfeeding. It was fine.

I'm having an extraction done Friday and it will not affect my pumping. I was pretty adamant about it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!