Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really good tips for first-time breastfeeding mommies

Default Really good tips for first-time breastfeeding mommies

these are all the things that I really do wish I knew when I started breastfeeding. Really, really helpful tips

http://myamericanconfessions.blogspo...stfeeding.html

Default Re: Really good tips for first-time breastfeeding mommies

Cool. Thanks for sharing! I wonder why it says to avoid pumping in the first month, implying it could decrease your supply? Maybe i'm reading it wrong...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

maybe if youre pumping instead of nursing? usually the advice is that pumping first month risks oersupply, right?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

The first month your supply is being regulated by your child. If you pump instead of giving baby full access it throws off the ques. Either it causes oversupply because you are sending your body more signals that you need or it decreases your supply because some of your childs hunger cues aren't reaching your body because they are being intercepted by the bottle.

Way too lazy for formula

Besides, why pump when you have a cute, snuggly, sweet smelling baby to cuddle? And who takes care of baby when you are pumping. Guaranteed that as soon as you hook up, baby needs you. BTDT. Dont pump. You don't need to if all is going well.

I hate that all the baby lists say a mom needs a pump. If you are following baby's cues, you don't. Even if you have an oversupply. The majority of moms don't need to pump in that first month. I wish I had been told that instead of what I was told -- to pump -- because I think it really caused a lot of issues for my first baby, with the resulting OS, OALD, green poop, etc on top of his acid reflux.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!