Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to?

Default How to?

So, I'm pregnant and am a mom to an almost eight month old; she still breastfeeds along with eating now but I am concerned about feeding her when the new one comes: Should I express some milk and freeze it for her now? Or can I feed both of them at once?
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Default Re: How to?

You can feed them both at the same time! It's called tandem nursing and lots of moms do it. I think you are supposed to make sure the new baby eats first, and then just enjoy!

One thing to watch for is decreasing milk supply during pregnancy. Somewhere around 80% of moms lose some or all milk supply during pregnancy, and because the diminution of supply is hormonally driven there is nothing you can do about it. So if you notice that your baby does not seem to be getting enough milk, you probably want to make up the shortfalls with formula until a year of age, at which point you cam switch to whole cow's milk if supplements to your milk are required.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i appreciate your comments and i'm sure i will...........will i lose supply between births?
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

You might. I did. 80% of newly pregnant moms do.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's odd because my flow is great!
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Good! Just don't be too shocked if things suddenly change. Hopefully they won't- after all, someone has to be in the lucky 20%!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"