Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to Work

Default Back to Work

I'm going back to work next week and plan on pumping twice at work. Right now I have no expressed milk stored so I will be starting from scratch. What's the best way of doing this without building up too much of an oversupply? Should I just pump once a day from now until I start work to build up enough of a supply for the first day back to work? Once I'm at work I'll pump for the following day and so on.

My other question is since she currently only eats from one side at a feeding should I continue to alternate sides at work? If she eats from the right before I leave, pump only the left side the first time at work, then the right side the second time? When I come home she'll then eat from the left side. I'm just trying to make this transition back to work as smooth as possible. She's sleeping longer stretches at night now and when she does wake up to eat the breast that wasn't used at bedtime is soooo full, I'm not trying to make that worse by pumping too much!

Default Re: Back to Work

How well do you respond to the pump? I know that I needed to pump both breasts even though my daughter only nursed from one side. I would add a pump session in now. Either at night after your baby goes to sleep or between the longest sessions. If that can't work maybe pick 2-3 sessions to pump after your baby eats.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

please look up the information on working and breastfeeding available from LLL on this website.
    you are doing the right thing by preparing yourself with knowledge to reaffirm your commitment to giving your baby your breastmilk. great big hugs and kudos !!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Don't alternate sides at work, that will just mean more pumping. Have you tried pumping yet? I had a bit of oversupply with both my girls and pumped a lot when I first went back to work. I did cut back on the pumping to match what they drank, although I regretted that later at around 9 or 10 months when I was just sick of pumping.

I would definitely pump once a day from now until the day you go back to work. Don't stress too much about how much you get or don't get right now, you just need to have enough for the first day or so of work.

How many hours will you be away? You should shoot for between one and 1.5 ounces of milk per hour while you are away.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I was pumping every 2 to 3 hours when it was too painful for her to breastfeed. I got about 2oz from each side give or take, but I haven't pumped in a few weeks so I'm not sure what I'm putting out now. When I first put her back to the breast for all of her feedings I continued to pump just to make sure I maintained my supply because at the time I wasn't sure how well she was transferring milk. Turns out she was transferring milk just fine and I had several bottles lined up in the fridge in addition to feeding her. I think I built up a bit of an oversupply from doing that. I'm going to start pumping today and see what I get. If it's still just 2oz from each side then I'll definitely have to pump both sides at work, but I figure whichever side she doesn't eat from before I leave for work will put out a lot at the first pumping session. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your help! Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track with my plan.

What kind of pump do you have?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It's an Ameda Purely Yours.