Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persistance Pays

Default Re: Persistance Pays

auderey what is lipase? i have never heard of that before?

some milk has extra lipase, which is not bad for the baby but can make the milk taste "soapy" or otherwise gross if it sits in the fridge past a certain amount of time, or if it's frozen. you can find whole threads on it here, but the gist is: leave a bottle in the fridge, and taste test every few hours up to about 5 days until (if) it starts tasting soapy. then you'll know what window you have to use it in. some people get 3 days, some people get 3 hours! if you're going to freeze it, you should scald it first to prevent the lipase issue. the milk isn't bad for the baby, it just tastes different and some will refuse to eat it. worst-case scenario happens when mamas store hundreds of oz in preparation for return to work, and THEN find out their baby won't drink it
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

So Im a little perplexed. I weighed before/after BF today and she took in 46mL which is not even 2oz. Its way more than she's ever taken in, but again comparing it to a bottle where she was taking in 3.5oz every 2hrs is her intake a bad or good thing? I fed her at 9:30am and she nursed until she had the drunk look. I went to BF support and started nursing around 10:45-11am and I topped her off fust before i left at 11:45 and in all it was 46mL. I guess i was looking for at least 2.5-3oz, similar to her bottle intake but she seemed content afterwards. Im sure Im just extra paranoid, but any comments?

Keep in mind a single feeding is not indicative of all feedings. Sometimes you want a little snack, sometimes you want a big meal. When a baby is bottle fed she can't control portion size. When nursing she can. Even weighing over one day might not give a good picture because some days you eat more or less than others.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).