Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 week old sleep habits

Default 2 week old sleep habits

My 2 week old is gaining properly, has plenty of wet and poopy diapers but he loves his sleep. I've been waking him up as recommended during the day (every three hours), but at night he'll sleep for 5+ hours most nights. When I do wake him to eat at night he'll have a quick 5 minute snack and then falls back asleep so I pump (for my own comfort). Is this OK? Also, at what point do I stop waking him every 3 hours during the day and just let him eat when he wants to? Thanks!

Default Re: 2 week old sleep habits

Has he regained his birth weight? It sounds like everything is going really well! I would probably stop waking him up at night but not let him go any more than 3 hours or even 2.5 maybe during the day. I bet pretty soon you won't have this issue and he'll start waking up more on his own to eat.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Trixie was kind of like that for about the first 6 weeks Brooke. I remember thinking there was something wrong with her because Lilah wanted to be latched on 24 hours a day when she was a baby. But Trixie would eat her fill and then pass out. I would have to set an alarm so that she wouldn't get more than one 5 hour stretch at night. What I wouldn't give to have that problem again. She's not sleeping in longer than 2.5 hour segments now at 15.5 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to

my boy slept at least 5+ hours most nights but to make up for it I just woke him every 2 hours during the day 9he was a slow gainer) it wasn't long until he got in the habit of eating more frequently during the day and I didn't have to worry with waking him to eat. but after the first two weeks I did let him sleep long stretches a night, however I did get up to pump because I was rebuilding supply and preparing to go back to work.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

My son is 18 days, and he has a similar sleep pattern (no swaddling or pacifier). He'll make up for it during the day, and then I feel like he's constantly attached to me! Everyone says we're lucky and to let him sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    Tracie, Levi was a lot like that too, actually! He was a RABID daytime nurser + had a 4-hour marathon just before bed, so I never worried he wasn't getting enough. But I also swaddled and offered a pacifier sometimes at night, so I'm not sure it was entirely healthy natural for him to sleep as long as he did when he was so little. That's what made me ask the OP about those things, but I agree--sounds like everything is just fine, and baby will probably change it up soon anyway!
    I wasn't trying to disagree with you, not sure if I came across that way?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*brogers View Post
    My son is 18 days, and he has a similar sleep pattern (no swaddling or pacifier). He'll make up for it during the day, and then I feel like he's constantly attached to me! Everyone says we're lucky and to let him sleep!
    this was Silas I was miserable starting at about 5:00pm every.single.day BUT I did get to sleep every night for long stretches I had no idea what was going on or how lucky I was
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Thanks everyone. He gets a pacifier during the day on occasion, but only for a few minutes. He hates being swaddled/restricted so we don't do that either. I've tired undressing, tickling, all the tricks in the book to keep h up when feeding late at night, but no luck there. Based on everyone's advice I'm going to go with my gut and let him sleep. He seems to eat really well right before bed like he's stocking up so he can sleep longer. During the day he usually take two good long naps (and eats a lot before these) them a few shorter ones (he eats shorter more frequent meals at this time). Thanks again!

Some babies tend to be sleepy in the first couple of weeks or so and then kind of 'wake up' and are more ravenous. So don't be surprised if baby suddenly starts wanting to nurse more often! Also I think sometimes the recommendation to 'wake every such and such hours" while good, in the sense it ensures baby gets enough, can also mean baby is never able to quite get on his or her own natural 'rhythm.' That happened with our oldest, we were concerned he was not getting enough so we were told to wake him to nurse every two hours. After two weeks of struggling to wake him that often, and at teh end of our rope, we talked to a different pediatrician who said go ahead and let him sleep for one stretch that night as long as it was not longer than 4 or 5 hours. He slept 4 and a half hours that night and then after that we never had to wake him again. He nursed just as frequently (perhaps more frequently) but on a more typical newborn pattern, of cluster feeding with lots of frequency part of the time and with a couple longer sleep stretches per day.

The usual recommendation around LLL, rather than saying 'nurse every such and such hours" which is not a typical pattern, is to suggest to nurse when baby cues, while making sure baby is nursing a minimum of 8-12 times per 24 hour day, especially in the first 6-8 weeks. I think that mom’s body can also send a 'cue' and so, if you start feeling full, rather than dragging out the pump, it is fine to pick baby up and see if baby will nurse. Babies can and do nurse in their sleep and/or when just waking or very drowsy.

some ideas: feeding cues: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...eding_cues.pdf

waking a sleepy newborn (includes info on when waking is not neccesary as well) http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

What is normal and expected in the early weeks with a breastfed baby: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/