Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this oversupply??

Default Is this oversupply??

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum; I have an 18-day old son, and what I think is an oversupply issue. His weight history is 7lbs 10oz at birth and 8lbs 9oz at his 2 week checkup. I'm a new mom, so I don't know if this is considered 'rapid' weight gain, but I thought it might be since he's far surpassed his birth weight after 2 weeks.

He typically sleeps for long stretches at night (4-5 hours), and when I feed him he'll only take one breast for about 15-20 minutes. I also have a pretty strong letdown, but I've been expressing some before he latches on to combat that. During the day it's like he gets more and more hungry and eventually will feed for long stretches at a time, sometimes 1-2 hours of what feels like constant eating. Towards the end of the day it takes both breasts to satisfy him. He has very frequent poops, sometimes after every feeding, but they're not green.

Should I try block feeding to help him be more satisfied? Thanks so much for your advice. This is all new (and scary) to me!

Default Re: Is this oversupply??

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your son!

It is all new and scary. We have all been there. But it sounds like you are very well educated on breastfeeding and doing everything right. Now sit back and enjoy your baby. I would suspect those 1-2 hour feedings during the day are more for comfort than anything else, however considering he is already sleeping 4-5 hours it could be tanking up for the night. If you are comfortable with it, don't rock the boat. Let your baby direct the show. And again, let him decide if he needs to take a second breast or not. Even an 18 day old baby can self regulate and knows what he needs.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi mama, and congratulations on your new son and 18 days of breastfeeding! You have made it past what is usually the hardest part.

Everything you write here sounds absolutely normal. Lucky you on the 4-5 hour stretch at night - and remember it'll change. Since it sounds like he's gaining well, this is probably not a cause for concern. You mention frequent poops - that's normal - but also make sure he's having at least 6-8 wet diapers a day. If he is, he's doing fine.

Feeding for long stretches, especially cluster feeding in the evenings, is totally normal at htis age; just grab a book or a computer, water, and a snack and settle in for those long nursing sessions. It doesn't mean he's not satisfied - it's just how babies eat, and it's how he is telling your body how much milk to make.

Remember that your supply won't regulate really for a couple more weeks, at which point your strong letdown might resolve itself. It sounds like you're managing that just fine, though. Mamas who have oversupply are often noticing that their babies choke, gulp, and pop off the breast a lot - if yours isn't doing this, then don't worry about it. Just keep feeding at earliest cue and enjoy those precious newborn days!!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PPs. Everything you describe sounds par for the course with such a young baby, and I would not block feed at this point. Block feeding might be a good idea if baby's poops were consistently green and he seemed excessively gassy/uncomfortable, or baby was struggling with strong letdowns to the point where feeding was difficult. Feeding on a single breast per feeding is probably all that is necessary at this point, and it sounds like you and baby have already figured that out for yourselves.

Those 1-2 hour sessions in the evening, and having to use both breasts in the evening, is also very normal and in no way an indication of any problems with your supply or with keeping baby satisfied. As the PP said, it's probably baby's way of tanking up on calories before bedtime so that he can get that unusual 4-5 hour stretch of sleep. Don't expect that to last, and when/if things change and he starts waking every 1-2 hours during the night, don't panic. Another reason that babies marathon-nurse in the evenings is that it is a good way for them to soothe their evening fussiness, when their little minds and bodies are feeling tired and overstimulated.

Relax, you're doing a wonderful job!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Can anyone explain the difference between oversupply and over active letdown? Do they go hand in hand or can one appear without the other?

My son (4 weeks now!) has been showing some symptoms of reflux, but I've read that is sometimes confused with OALD. As I wrote above, he usually sleeps long at night, between 3-5 hours, which results in my breasts being rather full. I express milk before he latches on because I know that it sprays out pretty fast initially. Maybe 10-20 seconds is enough to slow the flow down. He never fights or tries to push away while he's eating, and I think the spraying is really only an issue at night because during the day he eats more frequently. The symptoms I am noticing and am not sure whether they're reflux or OALD are

- spit up in morning, the first time he wakes up after the night time feedings
    - grunting sounrials he's lying down right before the spit up and they sound uncomfortable
    - gassy poops

I know this might be normal baby behavior, but if I do have a let down issue I'd like to do whatever I can to fix it.

Oh and I forgot to add he's been eating much faster now. Sometimes less than 10 minutes on a side. He also has been in the habit of comfort nursing in the evenings, but those feedings at night when I feel full are fast, maybe 7-10 minutes and then he's right back asleep.

OALD does not have to go hand in hand with oversupply. And spitting up, gas and grunting can all be associated with OALD. Baby takes in a lot of air causing gas and spitting up. The grunting would be a reaction to the sensation of gas. Be careful with expressing before, that you are not causing oversupply. I would get a letdown and spray into a towel before nursing. But typically baby will learn how to regulate the flow on their own.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    OALD does not have to go hand in hand with oversupply. And spitting up, gas and grunting can all be associated with OALD. Baby takes in a lot of air causing gas and spitting up. The grunting would be a reaction to the sensation of gas. Be careful with expressing before, that you are not causing oversupply. I would get a letdown and spray into a towel before nursing. But typically baby will learn how to regulate the flow on their own.
    Spot on. I had this problem. You can also try nursing in a reclined position. I would lean back on some pillows, put my baby on my chest, and let him latch. Gravity helps slow the flow and it worked wonders for us!

OALD can lead to super fast feedings as well. After a while mine was able to get plenty of milk in just a few minutes. Just watch diaper output if you think you have reason for concern.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

You can have OALD without OS. You can also have them together. But if you're not suffering from painful engorgement, etc., and if your baby's stools seems normal, I would not assume oversupply. Try laid back nursing, and just remember that OALD is something that can be troublesome in the early days, but babies grow into it. After a while, most babies come to love the fast flow! When you have OALD it is common for your baby to gain very well - after all, he doesn't have to do much work to get the milk.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Well everyone, here's a new update. He's 5 weeks now. He's had some frothy/mucousy stools for the last few days. In the mornings it's more frothy and it kind of transitions to thicker during the day, but it still doesn't look normal to me. The smell is a bit off too.

We travelled to my parents house this week, we got here on Wednesday, and he had his first watery stool Thursday morning. I'm wondering something's changed and we're now in over supply territory? I was doing laid-back feeding, but that's hard with non-family around. Plus it was starting to hurt on the left side, and I was getting lipstick nipple on that side. We've had lots of visitors, and I know that disrupts his normal nursing behavior, so could this be stress related?

I want to call an IBCLC but I think my husband and parents think I'm being paranoid. But I'm going to do it anyway.
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12