Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Goal for pumping session

Default Goal for pumping session

Today was my third day back to work. It's going well and my pumping has been good as well. I'm getting between 3 and 6 oz per session. My question is what should my goal be per session?

1. to empty the breast
    2. A certain amount of time, i.e. 15min
    3. To pump a certain amount each time

So far my baby isn't taking a bottle well. That is another issue, but we are working on it. She is only taking 1 to 2oz per day, however she comes to my work for an hour at lunch every day, and I get two nursings in. Right now I'm pumping way more than she is eating. That would be great to build a stock but unfortunetly I don't have a good freezer for that right now.

So while pumping, I'm just not sure when to stop. It seems like the milk flows well for a solid 15 minutes or I have several let downs in rapid succession. I've been stopping at 15 min just because I'm pissed for time, but would love some advice on this issue. Also, any suggestions on what to do with extra milk before it goes bad?

TIA
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.

Default Re: Goal for pumping session

Your goal should be to pump as much milk as you need, and to keep the intervals between pumping sessions reasonable (say every 2-3 hours). Right now you probably don't need to worry too much about emptying the breast or pumping for a maximum amount of time, since you're ahead of your baby's needs and you don't want to have to start dumping your excess milk. If you start to fall behind your baby's needs, then you will want to work harder to empty the breast and to spend more time pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal, this helps a lot. For now I will try to pump a little less which will help I think with both time management and not having to throw out any milk.

If you have extra, maybe consider donating? You could make some lucky mama and baby very happy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If you have extra, maybe consider donating? You could make some lucky mama and baby very happy!
    Yes, I've thought about this. I'll have to look into how to do that here.

Watch your supply. If it starts dipping, pump for a few minutes past where you get milk. You will likely hit a wall around 9 months, where you struggle for every drop. Just keep working for it.

We have a thread of chit chat about pumping if you want to join in
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

you can donate through human milk for human babies (hm4hb) or eats on feet, both have local sites on facebook.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.