Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to pump on the highest setting?

Default Is it bad to pump on the highest setting?

I have been pumping about once a day for a month. I just started back to work and am pumping at least three times a day. I always pump on the highest setting on my Medela. Is that going to hurt anything? It doesn't really hurt when I do it.

Default Re: Is it bad to pump on the highest setting?

As long as it feels comfortable, it should be fine. I need to use the highest suction on my Ameda pump and haven't had problem because of it.

Good to know. I just didn't want to damage anything!

Nope, but I would increase it in increments every 10 seconds or so and not just turn it up all the way when turning it on. I have broken capillaries bunches of times, and then I'd get bloody milk from that breast for a day. Then again, I exclusively pump, so it might not make a difference if you are only doing it a few times a day.

I also pump in the highest setting Sometimes I wish it went higher!

I needed to use the highest setting until I got a Limerick. Now I can't. But sometimes, I would find myself wishing the Symphony went up more!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I would work my way up to the highest setting, when I pumped. They wouldn't have it as a setting if it were dangerous.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

@kst, i disagree. don't we hear of moms getting their nipples torn up by pumps sometimes? i think some people need that much suction, and some people can get hurt by it. but if it's not hurting, it's probably ok.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    @kst, i disagree. don't we hear of moms getting their nipples torn up by pumps sometimes? i think some people need that much suction, and some people can get hurt by it. but if it's not hurting, it's probably ok.
    I've never heard of anyone getting their nipples torn up by too much suction. I have heard of wrong horn size, thrush and friction tearing up nipples. But yes, perhaps it needs clarification. I would assume that if it hurt like crazy she wouldn't be asking the question.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

hm, maybe. i know that when i up the suction too much it is NOT pleasant. i guess i was extrapolating to think that if someone did pump on a painfully high suction, it could cause some damage.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I think more often than not using the wrong horn size causes the most damage. If suction is a problem it will be painful, and increasing the suction incrementally as both katia11 and kst.7399 suggest would help anyone identify what suction will work best.

Because the OP stated that there isn't any pain, using the highest suction is very unlikely to be causing any damage. I have to use the highest setting, or I don't get anything.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 8th, 2012 at 09:02 AM.