Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and bottle feeding.

Question Pumping and bottle feeding.

Today is my first day back at work. I have a 3 month old and he doesn't really know how to bottle feed yet.(I know I waited until the last possible moment!) My mom is now watching him during the day. She told me he fights the bottle. He ate an ounce at one feeding session and then another 1.5 ounces at another. She said he was sucking on it finally.

She seems to think that if I nurse him when I get home from work he will forget all of the bottle feeding he has learned to do with her today. Should I pump and bottle feed him, or should I just nurse him? Will he get more confused and all the of progress she has made will be lost?

I really don't want to bottle feed him. I feel like he is going to need that mommy love and attention when I get home. But at the same time, I don't want to make it harder on my mom tomorrow.

Default Re: Pumping and bottle feeding.

I would nurse. He's not confused. He prefers breast over bottle, and that is totally normal. Given time he will, in all likelihood, decide to accept bottles when you are apart, but most breastfed babies nurse lots when mama comes home to reconnect.

Thank you. That is what I felt was the right thing to do.

Go with your gut! You know what is best for your baby!

I always nurse when I'm with my baby, and he only got a bottle or a cup when I was gone. Your mom can try a cup too if she continues to have trouble with the bottle, but the bottle will likely be fine given a little time. It might even help your baby accept the bottle if he knows that it is only temporary and mommy will nurse him when she comes home.

Nurse him when you're with him. Eventually he will figure out that when he's with grandma, he needs to use a bottle. Denying him the breast altogether isn't going to gain you anything except heartache, since your baby is 100% sure that YOU can nurse him, and he won't understand why YOU are sticking a bottle in his mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Tell Grandma that what she is suggesting is WAY more work than nursing.

You could try giving him the milk in a cup instead of a bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

but if he took an oz once and 1.5 oz once, he's actually not doing too bad for his first day. he'll figure it out. and yes - nurse when you're with him.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Nurse him when you're with him. Eventually he will figure out that when he's with grandma, he needs to use a bottle. Denying him the breast altogether isn't going to gain you anything except heartache, since your baby is 100% sure that YOU can nurse him, and he won't understand why YOU are sticking a bottle in his mouth.
    and YES go with your Gut. or more specifically your Heart
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07