Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medications to stop milk production???

Default Medications to stop milk production???

I want to stop breastfeeding, I've slowly stopped pumping, have it down to once a day but my breast hurt really bad. Isn't there an over the counter medication I can take?

Default Re: Medications to stop milk production???

Hi mama! How old is baby? There are medications but also more natural way to do it.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I don't think there is anything over the counter you can get that is specifically designed to dry up your milk, but your doctor would be able to prescribe you something.

Cabbage leaves in your bra would give you some relief and might dry you up some.

Watch out for mastitis. If you start to feel flu-like symptoms: achy, fevery you need to talk to a doctor.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with the PPs. If you're feeling uncomfortable, that usually means you're trying to wean too fast. There are circumstances where this is unavoidable- for example, we've had moms who urgently need to start a course of medication that is absolutely not breastfeeding-compatible. But if you don't have a time-sensitive need to wean, it's usually best to go slow: drop one pumping/nursing session, wait several days, then drop another, etc. Doing it that way allows milk supply to drop gradually, preventing engorgement and decreasing the risk of the mom coming down with plugged ducts or mastitis.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"