Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'm sore after pumping...

Default I'm sore after pumping...

I only pump once in awhile but every time I do my nipples become sore. It's uncomfortable to nurse my little girl, she's 3 months old. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this....
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: I'm sore after pumping...

Have you tried different sized horns? Playing with the suction? Rubbing a little olive oil where the horns contact the nipples can reduce friction.

What kind of pump do you use?
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

check the horn size
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

i agree with pps on the horns/pump. but let's also talk about you saying it's uncomfortable to nurse - can you tell us more about that? is it just when you've pumped? or do you sometimes pump to give yourself a break? what kind of uncomfortable is it - nipple pain, or something else? do you feel it some times and not others? the more details you can give us the better we can help you!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

After pumping, or if I'm very fully my nipples are very sore, kind of a tender sharp type of pain. It happens every time I pump. Normally we have no pain, unless she latches on before I get her in the right position she is not patient. I have a medela hand pump with two sizes, I usually use the larger of them. Then I have a medela electric pump that uses batteries, it only came with one size. I start the suction slow and short then work myself up to where it is still comfortable. I get 4oz within 30min.

I haven't tried the olive oil...

We don't use any bottles yet, I've been pumping when I'm very full, or when she doesn't seem to empty me That way when I do leave her or if something should happen we have a supply.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

It sounds like the horns may be too small. Perhaps try going a size up. I think most LCs can fit you for horns. Try the olive oil too, that helps me sometimes, even using properly sized horns. You might consider pumping for slightly shorter sessions too; particularly if there isn't an immediate need for a lot of expressed milk. I get sore when I pump too long.

I wouldn't bother pumping after nursing, but that's me (I had horrible oversupply, probably due to too much pumping early on so I'm a little biased there).

I bet the horns are too small. The size they come with is 24 mm, which is too small for at least half of moms who try it.

That said, you can still have vasospasm related to pumping, just like nursing, and I'm walking proof of that
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I bumped an old thread of mine and this link was SUPER helpful for me http://www.ameda.com/breast-pumping/...w-can-i-get-it
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07