Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Regression at 12 months?

Default Sleep Regression at 12 months?

Here is our routine. Dinner, bath, pjs, books, and then nurse to sleep. DS has his own queen bed on the floor beside ours, so I just nurse on my side and when he is asleep, I get up and leave. In the last week sleep has been deteriorating. Last night was AWFUL. He would fall asleep, but if I tried to unlatch him he would go nuts. He would root around and cry like a newborn. But then when I would latch him back on he was just flicking my nipple with his tongue, not really nursing. FINALLY, I got him to unlatch and he slept for a good 2 hr stretch. That isn't that unusual for him. At this waking, it was a little after 9 pm, he nursed and fell back asleep within a reasonable amount of time. But, he woke up again at some point and had a similar experience. The third awakening was terrible. He was doing the flicking my nipple thing and wouldn't go back to sleep. I kept unlatching him and he would cry. I was sooo frustrated and tired. It was taking forever. I asked DH what time it was (I wear contacts so had no idea) and it was only 11:15!!!! So, this was the second time he'd woken up since 9pm and I had been working at getting him back to sleep for awhile when he told me it was 11:15. I was losing patience quickly because of how it felt when he was flicking my nipple. At 12:30 DH finally took him and put him in the ring sling and got him to sleep. He woke up lots more during the night but at least he went back to sleep after a proper nursing.

Waking up and nursing is not new. But he used to go down at night like a champ. 20 minutes of nursing and I could slip away. And when he did wake up in the night, I could nurse for 5-10 minutes, and he'd be back asleep. I never had to "wake up". Why has this week gotten so rough? And is there an end in sight???

Two nights ago he would just roll over and crawl away. I just don't know what to do? I don't want to night wean him, but I don't think I can handle this in its current form. Advice?

Default Re: Sleep Regression at 12 months?

This is hard but totally normal behavior. I wouldnt even say its regression because its so normal. IME night weaning wont make him wake up less at night as you described it because he could be waking for teething issues; pain or discomfort or just a new weird feeling. He could be waking to practice stuff; when babies learn a new skill they often wake up to fine tune it. My DS2 would wake up at like 2 am to practice smiling and clapping! I was in a sleep deprived coma driven crazy by a cute night owl! Does it get better? Yes but not right away. Hang in there mama.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

It could be molars coming in. Mine slept horribly during that. I just gave him ibuprofen and nursed through it. The molars take a long time to come in, but it happens in fits and starts so it is not horrible all the time.

ETA: Just saw the post above. I totally agree that night weaning likely won't help the waking if it is teething or learning new things (mine wakes a lot when he learns a bunch of new words); it will just remove a quick means of getting him back to sleep.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; May 7th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

I guess it is good to hear it is normal. I just was hoping that by this time we'd get longer than a two hour stretch from 7pm - 9pm. Ugh.
    Mama to my little Piglet 5/9/11, nursed to approximately 19 months. Expecting #2 in early June! We happily , , and .

My son started sleeping much better once his molars came in (he woke every 2 hours through his infancy and first set of molars); so there is hope yet. 12 months was pretty awful sleep-wise, but give it a couple months and it may well improve. We still have some rough nights, but for the most part he only wakes once or twice in the very early morning.

It always helps me to remember that they will change a ton, so don't get used to the good sleep but remember the bad sleep will change too.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Last night he woke up and cried for the boob 15 times. At least he nursed and didn't just flick my boob. I'm exhausted, but my husband got him up at 6 and let me sleep until 7:20 uninterrupted. That's something!
    Mama to my little Piglet 5/9/11, nursed to approximately 19 months. Expecting #2 in early June! We happily , , and .

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this as well. My son turned 1 at the end of April, and prior to that had been giving us between 4 and 6 straight hours of sleep every night. All of sudden now, he's waking up almost every hour. It's killing me! I hope this phase passes soon for you.

12-13 months is a really tough time. Mine had just started running, was learning lots of new words, and cutting molars. That's a lot for a tiny person to deal with, and I think they really need that comfort at the breast. For us it got much, much better around 14 months. Mine is getting his canines in now, and it is till nowhere near as bad as what was going on between 12-13 months.

Take whatever opportunities you find to sneak a nap in. I would make sure to make extra food periodically to freeze so that I would have a super quick meal to make, allowing me to get a quick nap in after work while my husband would go for a walk with our son.

We are having a very similar problem with lack of sleep. I'm hoping tonight will be better. How can you tell which teeth it is? Ie, how do you know if it's molars?